The Fight

I got ready for bed. I put on my underwear and a pair of gym shorts. Since it was still Summer, I didn't put on a shirt. It could get really hot in the apartment. Now, I'm in my bed. I can't help thinking about what Ms. Schultz said. Is Cooper really at risk of killing himself? I couldn't stand the thought of that. Not now. Not ever. I love him to much. Funny how one sentence can change everything. I've never worried about him like this. I'm going to try to sleep.

Birch tossed and turned. His fan spun and he watched it thanks to the moonlight dripping through his window. He felt the breeze from his fan on his face and chest. He watched as the fan turned. He wanted to think about anything but what Schultz had said earlier. He switched his mindset. He remembered his run with the blue-eyed girl. He closed his eyes. The breeze in his face allowed him to visualize the run. Perfect, he thought, it was perfect. He wondered if he would see her again tomorrow. Although he thought she was odd, he found some strange comfort in the memory of her with him. Maybe it was just feeling happy. Maybe he liked that one perfect moment in his life. Who knows.

***

Birch woke up abruptly from his dream of running. He was shaken awake. His mother dragged him from the bed and pulled him downstairs. She was drunk. And angry.

She punched him out of nowhere. She did it again. Birch let her. This was the only way to protect Cooper. If she got her anger out on him now, she wouldn't bother Cooper later. He didn't even grunt when his mother's fist struck his face. She just let go. She kept punching with no restraint. She was looking for a reaction but couldn't find one, and when that happened, she swung even harder. He took the beating and waited till his mother got tired of hitting him. He then escorted her to bed gently taking care not to anger her again. He left her there to sleep and tended to his wounds and bruises, trying to keep the swelling down. The last thing he wanted was for her to get in trouble. He then went to sleep and cried as he wished he could keep running as he did earlier in the day. He didn't want to run away, just to run and feel the same freedom that he did when he ran with the blue-eyed girl. It was all he wanted and he wished for it with all his might and hoped that his bruises wouldn't be noticeable tomorrow.

***

I woke up this morning feeling beat. Literally. I was sore and my face was swollen. I rolled out off bed and got ready. Swim tryouts were today. I had packed my bag with all my gear last night before I went to bed. I'm exhausted. I let myself sleep in and woke up later than I should've. I took the truck this time. Usually, I preferred to walk everywhere because it kept me in shape but I needed sleep for the tryouts. I dropped Cooper off at school. He looked at my bruises with a sour frown when I told him books had fallen of my shelf onto my head. He didn't buy it. I was relieved when he left.

I put on my favorite music and drove to school. I got out and went to my locker. I opened and someone else slammed it shut. I opened it again, and, again, it shut was slammed shut.

"What the hell?" I said. "What's your problem?"

"Just wanted to see the new kid in town," he sneered. He had two other friends behind him.

"You've seen him... and gotten in his way. You've done a little more than 'see'."

"You talk big shit for someone who just moved here. Ramon. Put him in his place."

The guy on his left stepped up and threw a punch. I kicked him in the crotch. When he leaned over to cover his... pelvic region, I brought my heel to the back of his head. He flew forward into the ground. I kicked him in the stomach.

"Tomas."

The guy on his right stepped forward. He threw fast punches at my head. They were all easy to dodge. He tried to kick me so I caught his foot and held it up as I lowered myself slightly and kicked his knee, hard. He fell forward too.

"Do your own dirty work," I said.

He came forward. He was both fast and strong. Unlike the previous two, he was a fairly balanced fighter. He was still sloppy. After taking a few shots to the head and torso, I saw an opening and used it to punch him in the head and grab one of his hands. I pinned it behind him.

"You wanna keep fighting?" I asked.

He yanked his arm from me, picked up his buddies, and ran. I opened my locker and grabbed my books. When I shut it, a hall monitor was there. He escorted me down to the front office. He walked out. The bell was about to ring so I left a note on the desk of the front office that read:

I realize I'm in trouble but the guy I punched had it coming. If you review the security camera tapes then you will notice that in all three instances, I was provoked. Since I have a right to self defense my actions were warranted. I need to get to my class but before you talk to me again and waste more of our time, I suggest you review the tape.

Thanks,
Birch Booker Jones

I left to my class and pretty much forgot about the incident... until the end of the school day. My name came over the loudspeaker and I was asked to go to the front office. I went and kicked ass. I didn't get in trouble for fighting because it was in self defense. I then left in my truck to go get Cooper. I got him and drove to the pool. I got to the locker room and changed. I got out to the pool just in time with Cooper following close behind. I actually came in early. I sat on a bench and observed the girl swimmers that were trying out. They were swimming free. The one in the lead caught my attention. Her form was spectacular. She finished her swim and went over to talk to the coach. After that, she got back in the pool and swam butterfly. Her form was still spectacular.

I watched her as the coach briefed us about tryouts. As we stepped up to swim I saw her pull herself from the water and get to her feet. She took of her goggles and I saw her face. Damn it, I thought, although I'm not sure why I thought that. I guess I was just annoyed that she kept popping up in my life.

"Hey, coach. Did she make the team?" I asked.

"Why?" Coach replied.

"Just curious."

"No. She's a sophomore and she didn't transfer schools. She also didn't want to be on the team."

"What?! Why?!"

"Don't know, kid. She just told me to give up her spot. Now stop being so nosy and go show me what you can do."

I looked over at Cooper. He was doing his homework carefully so as to not get it wet. I got in the water and gave it my all.