What Happened in September

Again, Birch received a rude awakening from his mom. It was September 24, about a month after school had started. He was dragged from his bed and pushed down the stairs. He wasn't seriously hurt but his mom wasn't done with him yet.

"Why me?!" she screamed at him.

Birch noticed a picture of his father on the floor. The glass that covered the photo was in shattered pieces on the floor.

"Pick it up!" she said through clenched teeth. She took a drink from the bottle in her hand and staggered to a wall and leaned against it while she watched him.

He ran to get the dust pan. He swept up all the glass pieces, threw them away, along with the broken frame, and picked up the picture. He looked at the clock and realized why she was angry. It was three o'clock in the morning. Today was the day his mom and dad would celebrate their anniversary.

"Mom," he said as calmly as he could. "I understand that you're angry but don't shout too loudly at this hour."

"You know what it's like?! You fool! You haven't the slightest idea what it's like to lose the love of your life!"

"You're right. I'm sorry. I just wanted to help you."

It was to late for him to correct his mistakes. She took an empty bottle from the counter and brought it down over his head.

"Mom. You need to calm down. Is this what Dad would've wanted?"

"Shut up!" She slapped him. "He left me."

"Mom. Take your anger out on me all you want but be quiet or you're gonna get in trouble."

"Don't speak to me! You don't know what it's like."

"Tell me."

She froze. She looked at the blood dripping down his face and slumped to the ground. He took the picture over to her and thrust it in her hands. She tossed away like a frisbee.

"Fool! You don't know what it's like! You don't know!"

"Tell me."

"I'm angry that he's not coming back! And when he's not here to yell at, I get even angrier! And I," she gasped for air as she wept. She looked up at Birch and brought her head back down in shame. "I hurt my children. His children. Our children." She cried. "Why do I do that?! Why can't I take care of the gifts he left me?! Why do break them over and over?! If he were still here, would he still love me?! Does he still love me?!"

Birch had never seen his mother like this. He had never been able to get her to say how she felt. He went over and picked up the picture of his dad. He took a white box from a nearby shelf and took a picture of his mom from the box. She was about twenty-five in the picture and was dressed in a flannel and blue jeans with boots. She wore a hat and riding boots and was standing in front of a horse. She was a country girl and Birch's dad loved that about her. She loved the simple things. They balanced each other out. They were perfect together.

"Do you remember who took this picture?" he asked, not wanting to provoke her.

"Oh!" she cried. "Todd Jones did! My husband!"

"Do you remember why he said he took it?"

"Because he loved me! He said I looked beautiful when I was in my natural habitat. He proposed to me with that picture saying he wanted to be happy with me."

"He loves you, Ma."

"He left me."

"No. He didn't leave by choice. Remember? The doctor said he held on longer than they thought was possible. He didn't want to leave us. He didn't want to leave you. His weak body just couldn't handle his strong soul any more. He loves us. He loves you."

She was silent.

"He's gone. You both still love each other but Cooper and I need you right now. We need some of your love, ma." He placed the picture of his father in her hands. "He would've wanted you to keep being that person that he took a picture of long ago. He would've wanted you to become stronger. Can you do that? Or will you let the darkness that took him consume you and win?"

"I miss him." She looked up at Birch. "You look so much like him that I take my anger out on you. I'm a horrible person! I deserve to die!"

"No. You are a person in pain. You deserve a second chance."

"Oh, Todd would be so angry at me. He wanted the best for you, Birch. You and Cooper were so very precious to him."

"Are we precious to you?"

"Yes. But-"

"You're afraid that if you love us you'll lose us and suffer the same pain again?"

She looked up at Birch, shocked. "How did you know?"

"I love him too. I miss him like you do. I feel the same way, Mom. Maybe not in the same context though. You lost your husband but I lost my father and a piece of my mother went with him and it's painful to think that Cooper has forgotten what he looks like."

She was quiet, thoughtful, thinking.

"Mom, I'll get this cleaned up but I think you could use some sleep."

He escorted his mother to her room where she passed out on contact with the pillow. He cleaned the mess of broken glass and had an idea. He went out and bought some of his mom's favorite treats and flowers. He wrote in his dad's handwriting, 'I still love you! Happy Anniversary! Please don't cry for me anymore. It's time to move on. I'll wait for you. Take care of the kids!' He arranged the candy and flowers in a neat arrangement and put the picture of his mom and the picture of his dad as well as a picture of the whole family next to the card and went to bed.