A New Job

When I came back from school today, Mom was no where to be found. This morning she was gone. I thought she had early shift or that she had found out her "job" was fake. I was really worried when I got home. I told Cooper to do his homework. I checked the house first and set out to find her. I finally got a hold of her on her cell.

"Hello?" she said.

"Mom! Where the Hell are you?" I asked, happy to hear her voice.

"Birch, watch your mouth!"

I was silent. That phrase hit me like a slap to the face. She never cared about what I said. In fact, a lot of times her mouth was dirtier than mine.

"I'm at work," she continued, "and you're on speaker phone. I'm sorry I should've called."

"Where, Ma?"

"Why should it matter? I'll be home in an hour or so."

"I just want to know where you work in case I ever need to surprise you. Plus, I want to see what you're doing now."

"Let him come," a man said.

"No. How are you going to get here?" Mom asked.

"Run."

Silence.

"Mom, I've been sitting on my butt all day. I thought you'd be excited to show me what you do."

I played my cards right because then she said, "Alright, but I'll have to drive you home."

I hadn't gone in a car with her driving since the accident that took... that took him. Dad. But I wanted to see her so I agreed anyway. She gave me the address and I was off. I ran quickly. I burst through the door, sweaty, tired, and panting. The receptionist looked up at me in confusion.

"Do you have an appointment?" he asked.

"No but my mom works here," I replied.

"Uh-huh."

"You going to let me in?"

"Nope. You don't have an appointment."

"Please?"

"No exceptions."

"Alright."

I vaulted over the nice clean front desk.

"Sir! Get back on the other side of the counter!" I kept walking until I turned the corner. Then, I took off sprinting towards the elevator. "Stop!"

"Bite me!" I yelled back.

I got into the elevator and pushed a random button. I pushed the button that would take me to the highest floor. The doors opened on the top floor. There were two security guards and a pretty pissed off secretary all heaving for breath.

"I can explain that," I said even though I knew it was pointless.

The two security guards stepped in and seized me.

"Hold on, fellas," I said. "Let's talk about this."

"Shut it, kid," one of them said.

I started to squirm. They tightened their grip. I started to kick and yell. I pulled one into the other and got my arms free. I got into my fighting stance instinctively and asked, "I'm sure my mom's here somewhere. I can show you the text my mom sent me."

"You're trespassing!" the secretary yelled.

The guards tried to grab me again. I put them both down swiftly. Another man came from behind and put me in a chokehold.

"Who are you?" he said with a low threatening voice that sounded vaguely familiar.

"Can't answer... can't breathe," I replied.

He loosened his hold and I elbowed him in the gut. I kicked myself away from him, kicking him in the crotch in the process. He ran me into a wall and I kneed him and pushed him away. He used my momentum to throw me over is shoulder and onto the floor, knocking the wind out of me. He put his dress shoe on my chest to keep me down. I struggled until I realized he had a stun gun aimed at me. I kept fighting. I had to find-

"Birch! What are you doing?" Mom yelled. A crowd of people had been watching us with Mom standing in front.

"Oh, hi," I said.

"What are you doing!?"

"At the moment? Oh, you know, the usual, trying not to get my ass handed to me. Or in this case stunned. How about you?"

"Birch!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize I needed a reservation to get in here. What is it that you do?"

I looked up at the man while I waited for an answer. He was wearing a black trench coat, black dress pants and a suit and tie. He took his foot off of me and gave me a hand up. I took it.

"Back to work!" he said to the crowd. "You two my office, please."

Mom and I followed him.

"Birch, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Why don't you and I talk while your mom waits in the outer office."

He opened the door and pushed me in.

"Have a seat."

I sat.

"Now... WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"I was in a rush."

"Why?"

"My mom has been kind of loopy lately."

"Why?"

"She had an operation and the painkillers make her a little weird."

"My bullshit detector is pinging. I don't want to deal with any more of you crap. Tell me the truth."

"No."

"Kid, I already know your mother's not perfect by any means. It's partially why I helped get her hired. It's hard to get up when you've been down for so long. I thought I'd help her. Tell me."

"No."

He came forward with the stun gun and aimed it at me.

"Still no."

"I want to help her."

"No one wants to help her."

"She told me about your father. Terrible accident." He paused. "My wife got pushed off of a bridge by some criminals and my daughter committed suicide at six. She jumped off of the same bridge that her mom died at. The only thing I may have used your mom for is to redeem myself. I hope this won't come back to bite me in the butt. I've told you something you tell me something."

"She drank. She... gets... physical, sometimes. She's off the juice but is still dealing with withdrawal."

He walked to the window of his office.

"What was that throw?"

"Excuse me?"

"You threw me over your shoulder. What-"

"Oh, that. That was a judo throw."

"Does my mom get to keep her job?"

"I don't know. She works for the advertising company next door." He pressed a button on his phone. "Ms. Randall, could you please bring Ms. Jones into my office."

"Right away, Sir."

My mom practically ran in.

"Ms. Jones, it appears that your son was confused about the nature of your work. Since this was an unfortunate misunderstanding, no mention of it will leave this office. The receptionist at the front desk was told specifically to let him pass. I will let it slide." He turned to me. "Next time just call your mom in to get you in."