The Truth

It rained again. And again, it seemed to be at Sage's will. I'm starting to really think that there's something to this. Is it stupid of me to think so, yes, but my brain's doing it anyway.

I met some new people today. Adam and Douglass. They're friends with each other and Micheal and Leo. Adam and Douglass couldn't be more different. Adam's so white he's red and Douglass is so black that coal would be considered white. They're both manly but Adam goes more for tactic and Douglass for technique. They know Kailey and Alex and his goons. Told me to stay clear of them. I thanked them for their belated information. They also know Sage. They tell me she's smart and sometimes a little bit of a smart-ass.

They told me this after I told them she was assigned to be my partner in a group project. Leo and Michael, knowing my feelings for her, freaked out. That was fun. We exchanged numbers and said we should set up a time to meet over the weekend.

"Are you still mad at me?" I asked her.

"...I don't know..."

"Great answer."

"I'm mad at you because you put yourself in danger but I can't help thinking that I would've done the same thing if I was in your shoes."

"...Now you're making me nervous."

"Aw," she reached up and tussled my hair.

"Hey, I need you to promise me that your never going to be alone around those assholes."

"Okay."

"No, I'm serious."

"I know."

"Then, why are you looking at me like that?"

"It's just nice to know that someone cares. Like, really cares." Her ears started to turn red again and she looked down.

"You know you're cute when you're embarrassed?" This was a bold move for me so I tried to keep cool on the outside.

"Shut up!" She punched me on the shoulder. "Hey, wait a minute. You never answered my question."

"Hm?"

"You come out of every fight untouched so how did you get those bruises?"

"I'm not fighting."

"What?"

"You said I come out of every fight untouched but I wasn't fighting."

"Why'd you let him beat you up like that?"

"Because I'm fighting without fists."

"But-"

I moved close to her and smirked as I put my finger over her lips to quiet her. "Shh." I paused before adding, "Some fights can't be won with fists." Then I turned and left as my cheeks went red again.

October is a great month here. Things finally cool down to a comfortable temperature. It was Saturday and Sage and I met up in a park to do some work on the chemistry project. The weather was perfect. Clear skies and all. She brought some food because it was around lunch time and shared with me. We finished the project. I was lying on my stomach in the grass and was about to get up when she came up and pinned me.

"Answer my question!"

"I did."

"With the most bullshit nonsense ever made up."

"Get off!"

"Tell me. Aren't you parents worried about it?"

That word hit me like a truck. Parents. One of them's dead and the other one caused them! Luckily, she couldn't see my expression change.