Winning

"Honestly, Birch! What were you thinking? You could've got me fired!" Mom yelled at me the entire drive home. I didn't answer. I just told her I was happy she didn't get fired.

When I got home, Cooper ran up to me and hugged me. I looked to Mom with a smile. She looked so melancholy. She had been apart from the family for so long. I picked up Cooper and carried him over to Mom we shared a group hug. She looked so happy to be included. She started to cry.

"Are you awake now, Mom?" Cooper asked.

"What?" she said smiling.

"Are you going to leave us again? Are you going to go back to sleep? Are you winning?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you going to hurt Birch again?"

My stomach dropped.

"What?" she asked in surprise.

"Mom's awake now and she's winning," I swooped in. "Let's get you to bed."

After what seemed like forever, Cooper went to bed. I walked out of his room and went downstairs.

"What was all that?" Mom asked taking some of the pizza that Cooper had miraculously ordered.

"What?"

"'Mom's awake.' What does that mean?"

"I told him that you were asleep inside your own body. That were fighting an evil monster and that the monster was winning. He wanted to know if you beat it."

"What did he mean about me hurting you?"

"Considering how much you drank, I'm not that shocked you don't remember."

"I-I..." her face contorted and I knew she remembered. "I should be in jail. Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"I was going to, but I could take it. I knew you were still in there. I didn't want to ruin the family."

"Until I quit, you hardly had a family."

"I had Cooper. He saw something in you. Once he opened my eyes, I couldn't turn you in."

"Cooper told you not to tell?"

"No, he told me to tell. He said, 'That's not Mom it's a monster.' and some other things but one day, when he was still young enough to stay home, I came home and he looked utterly confused. He said you read to him and that you seemed sad. The next time you... well... lost it, I saw something in your eyes that told me that you weren't taken yet. You were still there."

"Why didn't you tell someone?"

"Because it wasn't their battle. It wasn't mine. It wasn't Cooper's. We just stayed till it was over."

"But I really hurt you."

"Mom... maybe I should have told someone. If I did, would you have your job? Would we even have the chance to be a family again? I knew Dad married you for a reason. I saw you at the funeral. Dad's death wasn't the only reason for you to go crazy."

"You were scared."

"..." I took a drink of some Diet Coke.

"What were you scared of?"

"How could I risk me and Cooper being separated in an orphanage somewhere?"

"Your extended family would've taken you in."

"And shunned you even when you did come around. I didn't want that for anyone. I don't hold grudges. I was fine with you being mad at me."

"Cooper... You should ha-"

"Dad would've waited."

"Why didn't you say anything to me?"

"I did. That's when you'd try to quit and then some asshole would come along and undo my work. I just quit. I couldn't make you do anything. I had to wait until you chose to do it yourself."

"Birch. Why-"

"I'm going upstairs."

"Birch, I work in advertising. I'm a secretary as well as the chief of design at the company."

"Dang, Momma. How'd you land that job?"

"Hard work. You should get to bed."

I nodded and collapsed in bed.

My eyes were about to slam shut when my phone went off. I checked my messages. It was Sage.

S- How was your day?
B- Pretty good. You?
S- Just finished my homework. I'm swamped for the rest of the week. Other than that pretty good.
B- That sucks.
S- Meh. What made your day good?

I had to think about that one.

B- My mom got a new job in advertising.
S- Nice.

I fell asleep texting her.

The next morning I texted her again.

B- I feel like an ass. I totally fell asleep while you texting me.
S- It's alright. I fell asleep right after I sent my last text message.
B- I have a football game today.
B- Do you want to watch me play?
S- I have to ask my parents but sure. I'd like that.
B- And before the game, can I treat you to dinner?
S- What's your angle?
B- Angle?
S- Angle. What do you want from me?
B- A chat with a nice girl.
S- So is this a date?

I paused. Did I just ask her out? Shit!

S- I'm asking because I am actually confused. A lot of things are lost over text such as emotion, intonation, and rhythm. I'm already dirt poor at reading people. Texting makes it more difficult.
B- I don't think it's a date.
B- I didn't intend for it to be a date.
S- Dude, thanks for trying to protect my feelings and all that. But I need a blunt yes or no. I won't get all bitter with you if you say no.
B- Okay then. No.
S- My parents say I can go. Where are we going?
B- You choose.
S- Jack in the Box?
B- Sure. It's near school too!
S- And it's somewhat cheap.
S- Win, win, win, win
B- Four wins?
S- Good food, cheap, near the school, and with you. All wins. ; )
S- When's the game?
B- 6
S- There's no point in leaving school then.
B- Do you want me to walk you home? S- Sure.
B- I'll buy your ticket to the game. I don't mean to be an ass but I'm not sure if I can completely treat you to dinner.
S- Don't worry about my portion of dinner. I will take that ticket off you though.
B- Fair enough.