Basil is on the Case!

I couldn't believe those weirdos asked me to run an errand for them. I hope it doesn't blow up in my face. Honestly, why would they use blackmail to do something that they probably do daily. I think this deal's gonna go stale real quick.

I put Cooper to bed a little early and headed out. I walked all the way downtown with that little box in my jacket pocket. I got to the bridge at 9:59 pm and now I'm waiting.

-:-

A guy walked up. He was wearing a hoodie and took the package he looked inside.

"Is this precisely what I asked for?" he asked.

"I wouldn't know, sir."

"Of course you wouldn't." He whistled and pulled a badge and a gun from his pocket.

Someone behind me yelled, "Police! Put your hands where I can see 'em!"

"God damn it! They set me up!" I yelled. I raised my hands.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah tell it to the judge kid!"

"No, really!"

"Uh-huh. That's a new one. Get in the car!"

They read me the Miranda rights as they pushed me to and into the car. The ride to the police station was awkward but the holding cell was worse. I really had to pee but I wasn't about to use that toilet. Eventually, they brought me out to an interrogation room.

A man in a suit came in.

I swore under my breath. "Who do you work for?"

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation." He flicked his wallet open revealing a badge. "More commonly known as-"

"The FBI," Birch interrupted. "I pay attention." He said in response to the man's raised eyebrows.

"What's your name?"

"Birch Booker Jones, sir."

"How old are you?"

"Nearly seventeen now."

"Listen. We could cut you a deal. You seem like a smart kid. If you tell us the names of some of the people in your little gang, we'll put in a good word to the judge."

There was a knock on the door. He opened it and someone whispered in his ear. He closed the door and sat down.

"When did this all start?"

"These guys named Alex, Ramon, and Tomas pulled me off the football field this morning and told me to deliver this package to the overpass in the east side on the edge of town at 10 tonight or they'd hurt my family and/or friends. So I took the package there and waited until a cop showed up and arrested me."

"Did anyone see the conversation between you and the three boys?"

"I know that Cooper saw part of it."

"Cooper?"

"My brother."

"Who'd they threaten specifically?"

"My brother and this girl I hang out with named Sage."

"And you didn't know what was in the box?"

"If I did I wouldn't have stuck around waiting to get caught now would I?"

"So, no?"

"No."

"What do you think's in there?"

"My guess? Drugs."

"Well, there were drugs but upon further examination of the contents of the box we also found a human finger."