Moonlight Song

Crystal POV

Silent treatment... I hadn't spoken to Prince Zuko for a whole week, and he hadn't spoken to me. We gave each other as much space as possible while the ship continued north to find Aang's trail. Over the week Iroh had noticed our distance from one another, and kept trying to get us to talk to each other. We just kept silent and turned from one another.

I assumed we'd both come to our own realization.

We couldn't be friends... We couldn't speak to one another civilly. We weren't supposed to be on equal terms. As far as Zuko was concerned, I was his prisoner and the waterbender he planned to give to his father. As far as I was concerned, Zuko was my captor and the enemy.

Being friends was not an option.

Staring at the water below, I held onto the guardrail wishing I could jump and swim to the nearest land. My mind scolded me for not learning how to swim when I had the chance. I wondered if I could just wing it, but I had a feeling trying wouldn't have a good outcome. I wasn't feeling suicidal quite yet.

It was much lonelier on the ship without my age-mate to talk to, but I was finding ways to entertain me. Iroh was still good company, and had started to teach me how to play Pai Sho. We spent hours at a time over the last few days playing together. The rules of the game were still difficult for me to gather, but Iroh was very patient and willing to answer all of my questions.

It wasn't just Iroh keeping me entertained. Members of the crew were also very civil toward me. Over the week I had met a few of the guards and crewmen who were thrilled to converse with me. I couldn't remember all of their names, but a few of them stuck with me.

Lieutenant Jee was a man around the same age as Iroh. Jee told me about his time in war, and how he had a wife he hoped one day he would see again. He told me he was popular on the ship for his singing voice and pipa playing. When I asked him what a Pipa was he was thrilled to show me. He pulled out the instrument with four strings and began to play it for me. I listened attentively, amazed by the foreign instrument.

Then I met the ship cook who I had poured boiling hot tea on the first day on the ship. I apologized for hurting him, especially when I saw he still had a bandage on his hand. He waved me off with a kind smile. Jiho was in his late forties and had once been a cook in the Fire Lord's palace. He was offered the position to join Iroh's crew, and only did so because he hated serving the Fire Lord food. The cook showed me around the ship kitchen which was huge. He let me help him cook some sweet tarts, and when we ate the delicacies we were pleased with the results. He asked me how I knew how to cook so well, and I explained to him that I did most of the cooking back home after my mom passed away. He told me whenever I wanted to come back to the kitchen I was welcome.

"Ah! There you are! I was beginning to think you jumped ship," Iroh joked.

I cringed. "I almost did."

Iroh stopped beside me, staring down at the water below. He seemed to fall quiet at my words. Then after a moment he said, "Hmm... Well I'm glad you talked yourself out of it."

I nodded, staring out at the horizon longing for my family.

"Well, I came looking for you to ask if you wanted to join the crew and me for music night. Zuko doesn't attend usually, so we'd love to have a young spirit in the circle for a change."

I smiled weakly. "Will Jee be there? I love his Pipa playing."

Iroh beamed. "Why don't you come and find out."

Running a hand through my wind tousled hair, I looked at the water thinking it over. Being with the crew for music night didn't sound all that bad. It kept me away from Zuko.