Fighting the Current

Crystal POV

"Ah..."

Iroh sighed in content as the two women massaged his spine and other tense parts of his body. Zuko sat on the floor by the window with a ridiculous hat hanging over his face, sulking because he could find no one who desired to join his excursion. I was cross-legged on a cushion reading a book about a powerful firebender who saves a damsel from ravage earthbenders. Some of the words were hard to understand, but I got the gist of it.

"Isn't this nice... I feel like we're all due for some relaxation."

Zuko muttered, "We've been here for a week now Uncle... We're losing time to relax..."

The mood in which Zuko had been conveying today was extra sour. He wasn't mentally here it seemed as his mind traveled to thoughts he would not share. I noticed his distracted mind a few hours earlier at breakfast. He hadn't spoken much, and as we walked to the spa resort for food he absent-mindedly kicked at a pebble on the ground. At breakfast, he barely ate, just picking at his food with a frown etched on his features. When I asked him if he was okay, he simply replied that he was upset he hadn't found men to join his quest. I knew he was lying though. I had the ability to tell when people were lying, seeing as I'd been an expert at it since I discovered I could waterbend.

Zuko was lying to me straight through his teeth.

"I see. It's the anniversary, isn't it?"

At the question that sprung from Iroh, I looked up from my book in surprise. Confused, I asked softly, "Anniversary?"

Zuko drifted his eyes over to me, while Iroh left his massage and sat down in front of Zuko on the floor. Eventually, Zuko explained.

"Three years ago today I was banished. I lost it all..." The pain in his voice made my heart ache. I dropped my gaze from him closing my book in understanding. So that's why he wasn't his usual self today... Today was the anniversary of his exile and long quest for the Avatar. "I want it back. I want the Avatar, I want my honor, I want my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless."

This last part Zuko spoke more to Iroh now, and the older man rubbed the back of his neck not sure how to reassure his nephew. "I'm sure he doesn't! Why would he banish you if he didn't care?"

The words Iroh spoke were not the greatest help at this very moment. His words only made Zuko cringe, and the young prince stood from his place leaving the room to get some distance from his Uncle. Iroh realized what he said was wrong, and shook his head at his own stupidity. While Iroh rubbed his face in disbelief, I placed my book aside and followed the path Zuko had just taken.

Leaving the room, I crossed the stone walkway following behind Zuko as he headed across the bridge towards the forest. He kept his head down in pain as he remembered the past. I knew the story of Zuko's banishment. I knew how much pain the event had caused him both physically and emotionally. I knew as stubborn as Zuko was, I wanted to comfort him.

Zuko stopped walking once he was off the bridge, and I saw his shoulders drop as he let out a heavy sigh. "I'm fine, Crystal... I just have a lot on my mind." He started to walk again, but I quickly reached out and grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Zuko... Talk to me... I know your upset... It's okay to tell someone how you feel..."

Zuko turned his body so he was able to look back at me. "You don't need to hear my problems... There's no use concerning over me. I just need some time to think."

I held onto him for a moment longer. Then I sighed heavily. "Okay..." My hand left his arm. He turned away from me again, his head hanging in agony. "But I'm here for you if you decide you want to talk... You don't have to keep it bottled up inside you... I'll be back at the hut if you change your mind." I started to walk ahead of him, although every ounce of me wanted to stay. I knew he'd talk if he desired to though. "Come find me."