The Sage

Don't hate me, but I am going to not have Crystal and Zuko go to the play like in the series. Actually... I think you will all really like what they are planning to do instead...

I mean, this is fanfiction. Why not change things up?

----

Chapter 66: The Sage

We landed in the late evening, Katara using some cloud coverage so we remained concealed. I had finally gotten movement back in my arms and legs about two hours after Ty Lee's attack, and I smacked Zuko on the arm with a pout. He only kissed me on the lips in return and promised he'd let me restrain him for a second the next time he ran into a crazy battle zone. I told him there better not be a next time, to which he just shrugged and said, "It's a war, Crys. Fighting is part of it."

I responded by saying, "Then next time we fight together."

He couldn't argue.

Once we arrived at the island, I could see a vast expanse of beach. Through our cloud cameo, I was able to make out a large wooden town in the distance that I assumed was a vacation spot for other Fire Nation citizens. The vacation home that Zuko's family had once stayed in was about two miles from the town, in a secluded spot that no one would be able to find unless they knew it was there. Trees stretched around the area, and Zuko explained to me they were palm trees. The building was three large buildings in one, with a giant covered porch out front stretching to the stone steps. From above, I could also see a large space out back that had a giant fountain and a training ground. The fine wooden material and red roofs made me think of the palace for a moment, and I shivered trying to push the image aside.

The Fire Lord was miles away. I was safe from him. I would just keep telling myself that.

Once we landed Appa behind the vacation home, I saw more palm trees and other greenery in abundance out back which would thankfully conceal Appa from someone who may fly by on an airship. We were safe.

The group quickly jumped off Appa, excited to explore. As the group raced off into the giant resort home, Zuko and I stayed outside in hesitation. I could sense as soon as we landed he had gone tense and somber. This was hard for him, coming to a place where so many memories of his mom filled the walls around him. I took his hand and gave it a tight squeeze, trying to offer him a small bit of comfort. He gave a sad smile, squeezing my hand back.

"It feels weird," he whispered. "Being here again. Last time I was here, my mom was still with me. That feels like ages ago. That was back during a time when I was happy... A time before my father became hungry for power and ruined everything... Who knew the greed of one man could destroy what used to be."

I turned and hugged Zuko, resting my cheek against his chest. "He didn't destroy you though. He only made you stronger. When we defeat him, we'll make him regret everything he did to your family. He won't hurt you or anyone else again... We have to defeat him."

He hugged me close and pressed his face into my hair. The warmth from him, the setting sun, and the ocean breeze felt so nice. "We will. We've come too far not to."

"Hey! Sparky!" Toph shouted from the back entry way. "Get your butt in here and give us a tour! This isn't a honeymoon resort!"

I turned and snapped, "Will you knock it off with the honeymoon comments!"

Zuko sighed. "Maybe we should just get married?"

Katara shrieked from inside. "I heard that! No marriage unless I plan it!"

Rolling my eyes, I muttered, "I think we should just elope."

He laughed and put an arm around my shoulders. "No. I guess I need to stay on your family's good side. Come on, before they come out and drag us in."