No Turning Back

Chapter 17

"Hey! Wake up!"

A foot nudged against me and I groaned from the soreness of my body. I'd been in my prison cell forever, and my body was dying to move around and be free. Opening my eyes slowly, I saw before me was a soldier dressed in full armor. I couldn't see his face behind his helmet vent. As I stared at the man before me, I realized then that the ship had come to a stop. How long had I been asleep for?

"Let's go. Admiral Zhao's waiting for you," he ordered.

Glaring up at him, I sat upward and managed to cross my legs. Running a hand through my tangled hair, I muttered, "I think I'd rather stay down here. I don't mind my prison cell."

He ignored my wish and jerked his hand down toward me. I cringed as soon as his fingers wrapped around my forearm. He yanked me and forced me roughly out of the cell, back down the hall, up some stairs, and onto the freezing deck. The whole way up I struggled and tried to escape his grasp. In all honesty, I had no desire to watch my people suffer and die before my eyes. Zhao wanted this to be my punishment, and I honestly knew it would be horrifying to me. What if I saw Aang, Sokka, or Katara dead from the invasion? The possibility made me sick.

"Stop!" The soldier kicked my shin and I fell forward onto the freezing cold deck. "I didn't sign up to have some brat kick at me like a wild hogmonkey!"

"Soldier! Is there a problem here?"

A familiar voice echoed from across the deck, and I was utterly amazed when I heard it. Looking up from where I was sprawled on the deck, I saw my good friend Hul. Hul had been the man who I saved from falling overboard so long ago, and now he looked ready to rescue me. I knew he had joined Zhao's fleet, but I could tell he still cared about me as much as he had under Iroh's command.

"None of your business soldier! This is strictly Zhao's order," the man who dragged me from my cell snapped. "Go back to your duties."

"The girl is my duty," Hul snapped. "I'll take her from here."

The soldier scowled. "I was given strict instruction to bring her straight to Zhao. Unless you have evidence of a direct order, I suggest you keep walking!"

Hul stepped over and helped me up from the ground. The soldier growled at Hul's defiance.

"I do have evidence." Once I was up, Hul took something out of his armor that appeared to be a rolled up scroll. He handed it over to the soldier who snatched it with irritation. "It's all there in writing. You got an issue, take it up with General Iroh."

The soldier read over the orders from the light of the moon. He then scowled and shoved the scroll back into Hul's waiting hand. "Fine! The brat was beginning to irritate me anyway." He turned on his heel and stomped away.

Once the soldier was out of earshot, I felt Hul pull me close to him. "Listen closely. Iroh wanted me to give you a message. I'll only say this once and then you run. The water is cold enough that your ice won't melt immediately. You're to jump off ship and run to shore without looking back. Once you're on land, bend a hole in the wall of snow and break into the city. Then go find your family and help the Avatar."

His words surprised me. "But what about you... If you just let me go you'll be seen as a traitor." He began to pull me along so he could pretend he was taking me to where he was supposed to be. "That's why you're going to attack me. I have a canteen on my side that already has the cap off. Take the water and freeze me to the deck. Then dash for the ocean."

As he spoke, I could sense the water he spoke of on the right side of his body next to his hip.

I felt relief at this turn of events. I would be free from Zhao's hold. "Thank you, Hul... I owe you one."