The Southern Water Tribe Warriors

Third Person (Southern Water Tribe Base Camp: Earth Kingdom Eastern Sea Shore)

A man in his late forties, with dark brown hair and tinted skin walked into the large blue tent that was set in the center of the camp. The camp had about ten other tents dispersed around the main, and off shore four southern water tribe boats were anchored. Thirty men were seated or walking around the camp, their ages varying from the youngest being nineteen up to the oldest who was in his late fifties. Other men were on the boats off shore, making repairs to sails and preparing for travel.

Inside the tent, the man stepped up to another who was cross-legged on the floor covered with fur pelts; he was analyzing a few maps sprawled out before him. He appeared in his late forties, some of his dark brown hair tied back in a high ponytail while the rest hung down. He had two strands on the right side with beads at the end. A short beard decorated his face.

"Any word from the group yet?"

The man seemed anxious as he waited for his chief to answer. Hakoda looked up at his good friend with serious eyes. "They'll be here soon, Bato. I know you're worried about your son being sent off on his own, but Kona is a strong young man. He is one of the strongest warriors apart from his brother."

Bato sighed, and then sat down in front of him. "I know... I guess I'm just freaking out too much... It's his first venture out alone."

"Jaka is with him, and Hoka and Ruja went to meet up with them. They're some of the youngest, but they are wise young men. You know I wouldn't send them out on their first venture without concerning myself over their safety."

He nodded. "I just expected them back by now."

"They'll be here. Just be patient."

"Yeah... You're right..." Bato met his friend's gaze, and then asked, "On another note... How are you holding up? I heard you received word from the Northern Water Tribe about Crystal..."

Hakoda let out a heavy sigh. "Guess gossip is still a problem..."

Picking up the scroll beside him, he handed it to Bato. As Bato read it over, Hakoda crossed his arms with concern.

"She managed to escape from the Fire Nation briefly..." Hakoda spoke, remembering everything he'd read. "She was captured again by the Fire Lord's son. She's still being held captive and is who knows were... Or so that's what the report says," Hakoda shut his eyes. "Sokka and Katara are still traveling with the Avatar."

Bato finished reading the report, and placed it down beside him. "It says Crystal fought hard to try and stop the Fire Nation though... She's still got some spunk in her."

"My daughter hasn't had spunk since her mother died, Bato... I still will never understand what she was thinking when she attacked the Fire Lord's son at the South Pole. I told her not to be rash... She already has one scar from the enemy... I can't imagine her receiving another..."

"I know you've been worried about her ever since I told you what Sokka and Katara told me... She'll be okay, though. She's stronger than we know. Obviously the Northern Water Tribe was impressed with her strength to emphasize it so much in the report."

Looking back down at the maps, Hakoda frowned. "I know she's strong... But I also feel terrible for not being there to protect her. I should've been there when the Fire Nation came... I didn't protect her..."

Bato seemed uncertain. "Are we talking about this year, or are you referring to that awful day so long ago?"

Chief Hakoda's fists tightened. "We should've never left them so vulnerable... I never thought the Fire Nation would actually come back to our shores."