Burning Flame

Next Chapter! Enjoy!

Third person Pov

The fisher village was lively as children ran back and forth across the docks. Men repaired the wooden boards that had become rotted and withered, while women caught fish offshore in the crystal clear river. Smoke still lingered from the factory in the distance, which was charred and beyond recognition on the edge of the cliff. The fish had returned to the water and could be seen jumping out of the flowing stream. There were still a few mutated creatures wading around beneath the pier, but things were finally returning to normal for the villagers.

However, the sound of heavy steps pounding against the wooden planks of the pier caused the children to stop running and look at an approaching stranger with wide eyes. Their gaze shot to his giant metal boot and then traveled up his body to the third eye on his forehead. He walked past them as if they were twigs, and headed up to the merchant stand where Dock was chopping up some slimy eels. As he passed by the men hammering at the wood with rusted nails, they looked up at him with question and uncertainty. Dock saw him approach from the corner of his eye and then grinned.

"Hey there traveler! What can I do you for? My brother Dock should be back soon with some fresh fishies. Until then, I- Xu- can be of service."

The man stepped up to him seeming to be twice the older man's height. His shadow fell over the table as if to send dread over the already dead and sliced fish. Jerking a scroll from inside his tan shirt, he slammed it down on the table sending a few fish hopping off the counter. He unrolled it and pointed down at the image.

Dock looked down at the wanted poster before him with curiosity. The image on the paper was a sketch of a teenager with long hair and fine features. On the sketch was an outline of a scar extending from her cheekbone to her collarbone. Dock immediately recognized the young lady on the drawing, and then tapped his chin.

"Hmm... Can't say I've seen this drawing before. Fine detail though." He grinned mischievously.

"The girl," the man growled, his tone dark.

Dock looked up at the man with laughter in his eyes. "I may have seen someone with these features before. A pretty gal at that. Left town a while ago."

The large man glared down at the merchantman and smashed his finger on the image. He then grabbed the man's collar and yanked him down towards the drawing so his eyes were inches from the paper. "Where?!"

Sweat started to bead down Dock's forehead, but he didn't give in. "You know... With that attitude, it's no wonder this sweet gal ran off from you."

He growled and yanked the man back up. Then he jerked the man towards him and hissed with a gruff voice, "Which way?"

Dock grimaced more do from the spit coming his way. "Not much with words, eh stranger?"

The metal booted man brought Dock closer to his face showing nothing but impatience. Realizing his predicament, Dock finally held his hands up in surrender and answered, "Alright. If she means that much to you... My brother Dock saw them leave west down the river a day ago. I-if you go now you should be able to catch up to the girl and her colonial friends."

The man released Dock with a shove, and then grabbed the scroll back up. Turning on his heel, he headed back the way he came shoving a child out of the way who fell on his butt and cried. Shoving the scroll back in his shirt, the metal booted man stepped to the edge of the pier and looked west at the winding river before him. His eyes narrowed and his fist clenched in determination.

Crystal POV

The stream before me flowed back and forth as it followed the movement of my hands. As the others got their last few winks of sleep, I continued to practice with the element I struggled to master. Katara and Aang made it seem so easy when they used their waterbending, and there were times I thought maybe I was getting it. Then one wrong move and the water would escape my control and fall back into the river we were camped a quarter of a mile from.