9.

Xu FengYin was 9 years old when his parents brought a pair of siblings home. Back then, he had wanted to care for them, protect them like what his elder brother didn't do.

Back then, they were still a happy family.

Their mother loved his elder brother - FengYin was alright, since his father liked him better. It was fine, he would be the one who will love his younger siblings, right?

However, as time passed, he realised something.

Whatever his elder brother broke, he would be blamed for it.

Whatever his younger siblings broke, he would be blamed for it.

But he was still fine with it. As long as he explained it to their parents, they wouldn understand, won't they?

But they didn't.

His mother had sneered, looking at him like he was dirt on top of her pristine heels - as if he was just a beggar on the streets, a dirty rat in the kitchen, like he was the insisting pebble inside of her shoes. "Don't lie. All of your siblings saw you doing it."

His father had sighed, a disappointing breath that hurt more than his mother's look of disdain. "It's not good to lie, we won't punish you for it."

Xu FengYin was 10 when he decided that keeping silent was better than speaking up.

________

At that age, he also met his first friend.

She was someone from his class - a cheery, not-quite smart girl, with another group of girls. Yet she still wanted to be his friend.

Everything that she asked, he gave.

Everything that she ordered, he followed.

Everything that didn't suit her taste, he changed.

He was happy. It was the first time he had a friend that was willing to stick with him, instead of being intimidated by his brother or being repulsed by his quiet demeanour.

He was happy.

Yet, happiness was ever fleeting. It was not eternal, it did not last long.

Nearing the end of the school year, with the cicadas chirping and the rays of the early summer sun streaming through the windows, he found out one thing:

There is no such thing as true kindness.

He had gone to the toilet for a moment, and didn't tell his friend. His footsteps were always light and soundless - to the point that his friend would joke about him being a ghost.

He had returned quite early, and had lingered in front of the classroom door when he heard his friend's voice. Curious, he decided to stay.

"Hey hey, why would you even become friends with that YaBa? You know he's just a teacher's pet right?" This was from one of her friends.

"Right! You know how annoying it is ah, looking at him always raising his hands up and answering the questions like he's a smart ass." Another one of her friends.

"....." Xu FengYin had hoped that his friend would speak up on his behalf. Yet, she stayed silent.

"Even the teachers should be annoyed at him ah! He keeps on answering, keeps on correcting the teacher like he's a genius. Even our class top 1 don't bother!"

"Don't say that lah." FengYin had been feeling down and restless from the earlier comments, yet he perked up at hearing his friend's words.

....He was mistaken.