31.

What to pack... what to pack...

Fengyin wandered around his room aimlessly, not knowing what to do.

Since they would be staying near the rift to take care of any potential dangers, they would need to pack clothes and other basic necessities. However, the elders didn't specify how long they'd be staying there....

Perhaps he should bring some talismans? No, it was Ling Qiuruo's job to provide any needed talismans, since he is the succeeding disciple.

Hmm, what to do....

Bringing some clothes, but how many sets?

Hmm....

While he mulled over what he should be packing, someone knocked on the doors to his room softly. Snapping out of his reverie, he called out.

"Ah, come in!"

He was half expecting old man Luo, or his fellow disciples. Longyue would never knock, so it definitely wasn't her.

Unexpectedly, it was Lu Yanshui.

"... Master." He greeted curtly, hands clasped into a formal greeting, eyes cast low. "What brings you here?"

Lu Yanshui was silent for a few moments. Then, when Fengyin was beginning to  think that he was just in his room to occupy it, he spoke, an underlying uncertainty lacing his voice. "I came to bring you materials."

"Materials?" Fengyin looked up, noting the bundles of herbs within his master's hands.

It was ... a long time since this master of his gave him something.

"Many thanks for master. Please set them on the table."

Lu Yanshui did so without any protests, and after a while of hesitation, walked towards Fengyin and handed him something.

"This is..."

Lu Yanshui gave him a ring, and on the sides, he could see it carved with familiar protection spells. He looked up, to see Lu Yanshui's face, etched with guilt.

"...I hope it will protect you."

Lu Yanshui could say nothing else. He did not deserve to say anything else. Having his purpose complete, he turned around, and left his disciple's room.

(Just before he left, he heard a small "thank you".

He wished he could turn back time.)

Fengyin stared at the jade for a while, bringing it near him to inspect it closer.

It seemed precious...

Was it really alright for him to have this?

Tearing his gaze off the ring, he inspected the other things Lu Yanshui brought to him; the bundle of spirit herbs.

Even without using his spiritual force to sense, he could see that those herbs were top-quality ones, probably ones from Lu Yanshui's own storage.

He felt really, really touched.

Nevertheless, he must stop procrastinating and start on packing.

Packing three sets of clothes should be fine....

____

"Just when did you sleep?" An affronted voice jabbed at his ears, the moment right before he was coherent.

Fengyin covered a yawn with his hand, tears being squeezed out at the corner of his eyes. "Sometime after it was dark?"

"It looks like sometime before the sun rises to me," Longyue bit out, patting Fengyin's cheeks with just the slightest bit of force. "Look, Zhongyi-ge isn't here with us, and I can't camp with you so you have to take care of yourself-"