Chapter 2

The sun began to sink and villagers had scurried away like frightened mice

The sun began to sink and villagers had scurried away like frightened mice. I also began to make my way home.

As I entered our picturesque cottage, my mother stared scolding me, "What time do you call this? Do you want it to torture and torment you? Do you want to be caught? Is that what it is? Do you want attention? Do you wa-"

"Mother stop please. It's not even 4 o'clock yet. He always comes at night."

"He might not. Who knows? He might come right now. Look Katherine, I'm always modest and humble but there is no denying it, I carried the most beautiful girl in this entire village. If what they say is true and he does come after maidens, he-he'll come for you first. I know it sounds arrogant but I really do worry about you." She sighed, the stress clearly still on her mind.

"Mother, everyone is beautiful in their own way. I'm not even as beautiful as you make me, nor am I ugly. I'm probably somewhere in the middle."

"Maybe that's why you are the most beautiful, your heart and soul is pure, my child." She caressed my cheek.

"Your Aunt said a few things to me, I know it was a bunch of rubbish but it stressed me out. And you know quite well how she never says anything to me." I nodded wanting to reply and question her.

"Katerina?" I turned around and half-heartedly smiled at my papa's other name for me.

"This day is not a comedic jest. You need to be careful blossom. You're mother is right in her own way, you are too precious for us to lose. You are our gem, our flower. Do you understand?"

"Yes papa." I laughed at how he babied me. "You two are over the top about everything."

He reached out to embrace me and my mother joined. She broke the hug and instructed us to set the table. "So did you do anything interesting today?" My papa asked. 

"Well..." I decided not to worry my parents with Anastasia and her long list of problems, and instead changed the topic rapidly, "I  saw Aunt Esmerelda today." I inwardly cringed for bringing up such a sensitive topic. 

"That's great! Did you invite her over today, is she coming?" Papa's eyes lit up whilst unconsciously looking at the blocked windows. Aunt Esmerelda was my Papa's only sister, and he loves her so much. He feels a constant sadness because of her fate so far in life. I hated to puncture his hope. It really pained me.

"No Papa, she couldn't come." I said softly and he sighed. His shoulders slumped and he seemed disinterested in everything around him - even mother's food which normally in any state he could not ignore.

"She will be in our prayers tonight anyway." My mother said. I then registered the aroma of freshly cooked food filled the air. Mother bustled about the kitchen, humming to herself as she worked. She had been cooking for awhile, preparing a feast for her family, and now it was almost time to sit down and enjoy it. She carefully placed each dish on the table, arranging them just so. As she finished setting the table, she paused for a moment to admire her handy-work. I took a good look at her and realised how tired she looked. It seemed like these days, money was tight and fear was unescapable.