Chapter 17

I made my way towards the fighting arena

I made my way towards the fighting arena. Luminous stars glittered the sky. Even they had come to watch. Then I saw Xavier, colder than ever. More emotionless. He grabbed hold of my arm tightly and dragged me to the side.

"What were you thinking? How do you even know about it? The desmus rules are ancient." He growled, as he unexpectedly hugged me. He rested his chin on my head and hugged me tighter. 

"Reading goes along way." I answered simply. But I hugged him back.  

"But duels don't. He may not be the strongest but he has a lot of knowledge. He'll throw unfamiliar movements at you."

"I know. Just one thing: what form do we fight in?"

"Since losing your wolf is at stake, you will fight in your wolf form, but only after 10 minutes of fighting in your human form." I hummed absorbing all the information. But then he broke the hug and pushed me away from him.

Then it seemed as if his whole facade broke down. His voice cracked as he talked. "If there was something I could do, I would. There's nothing I can do." Then he started shouting and going hysterical. "Do you hear me? Nothing! You have put me in the worse position possible. I might have to watch my mate die in front of me. My lycan can do nothing. Do you know how much it will hurt me and him if you -" He cupped my face and I leaned into his palms. 

"Then don't look." I said coldly, and he removed his hands from my face. Immediately, I wished for him to put them back. 

"Good luck." He whispered. 

I nodded and as he left I whispered, "I'm not going to lose though." Another jolt of anger, spread through me. I'm not the one leaving this world. How could he think that? I'm stronger than Leo. 

"I don't want to lose her Argento. I would have done everything differently." I heard Xavier talking to his wolf. I smiled to myself. He must care enough to let his barrier fall. That has never happened before. I could see the worried look on his face and his creasing forehead. I didn't want to overstep so I blocked the mind-link. 

An overwhelming number of pack members were sitting, and waiting. Probably three thousand at the very least. Some had shock plastered on their faces, some with worry and confusion.

Then in the middle of the arena, I saw Leo. He wore a crimson cloak which brought out his ocean-blue eyes that intended to drown me and suffocate me against the tormenting tides. My claws were already retracted and my lips were curled into a snarl.

"SILENCE!" Xavier ordered and his people obeyed instantly and a wave of energy vibrated through me. I looked around to see everybody else bowing down in submission to Xavier. Then slowly they all returned to their original positions. 

"Katherine Aphrodite has challenged Leonard Alton Romanov to a desmus duel. Desmus duels have not been declared for over three centuries. We must hear the reason for this duel."

"Katherine, come onto the podium and explain to us whether your accusation and reason for this duel is lawful."

With my back straight and my chin jutted our, I walked towards the podium.

"Since I have been here, the daste witches...have made contact with me, seeking some sort of weapon. The matter had been sorted out - oh so we thought. Today, I overheard Leonard discussing about this "weapon"  and how Xavier had ruined his "plans" by wanting to send him away. I heard him talking to three women, who he called the "supreme three" He and the witches had also plotted to get me to love Leonard instead of my mate. They had given me potions to achieve this."

Gasps could be heard a shock filled people's faces. "Where and how did you hear this?" Xavier asked.

"I was walking towards my room when I heard some sounds and I went towards the door which had been left ajar. I opened it and heard. They were talking from above. From the tower"

"How much above?" He questioned.

"Twenty five metres or so." I replied.

"That is not possible." He whispered confusedly.

"We will soon see."

"Leonard Alton Romanov, 2nd to the throne, what do you have to say?"

"It's true." The gasping seemed contagious but Xavier remained emotionless. "I think that your reign should have ended a long time ago cousin. The daste witches came to me because they saw me as more worthy of your title. We partnered up. I found allies which you could never build. I am fit to be king. You are not. Yet you have never in all this time wanted to resign. All of this could have been avoided."

Xavier's growl ripped the atmosphere apart. I could tell that he was going to shift. But I could see the restraint he had and how he was trying to stop shifting. My wolf yearned to stand by her mate and force everyone to bow at their feet and paws.

My wolf broke my block against her. She had stopped pleading. She knew she couldn't contain the anger as the dosages increased. She no longer begged for me to contain it. She seemed to want to let it go in the most animalistic way possible; death.

I had seen her recent thoughts; tearing Leo's body apart; spilling his insides; toying with his body and ripping it apart savagely. She desired to sink her teeth into his body and I wanted to taste the metallic flavour of his blood filling my mouth.

To win this match, I had to channel my anger.

My anger because of Anastasia for being stupid and reckless. For putting me into this position.
My anger is towards Xavier who stole me away from my perfect life and who took away some of my freedom. He took me from my friends and family.  My anger is towards Leo for deceiving me. My anger is towards the daste witches who caused me great pain and for blackmailing me. 
My anger is towards time, the culprit of nearly all things. My anger is towards me, for letting things escalate this far.

"I hereby, as the highest reigning royal, declare this desmus duel to be lawful. Begin."