Chapter 26

"Katherine, my men have just checked the grave yard at the back of the garden

"Katherine, my men have just checked the grave yard at the back of the garden. There was no book. There was an ash site but the book was not seen."

"Right, so the book is probably in the library. I need to go. I need at least some wolves with me so our scents are not too suspicious for the witches to detect." I looked at the alphas, "I don't need your men and women but if you are willing, having any will do no harm unless we are detected. I could possibly have two guarding the entrance from the library and the north entrance, another two in the corridors and one with me in the library. This is an important mission so if you are going to send any wolves, send the best." They nodded. 

"Katherine, my troop F4N63 are at your command."

"Thank you so much, Delphine. Makarios, when will my mother be here?"

"Tonight." He replied.

"Good." I answered, my mind thinking of various different things.

"Katherine, do you need my people?" Makarios asked.

"Yes, I was thinking that we need them littered around the perimeter of the castle, camouflaged off course. If I'm killed or anything else happens to the others and I, you need to order the burning of the castle so the essence of the book could either possibly be destroyed or at least found easier." I looked at his perplexed face and continued, "because out of all the blackness and ash, it will be easier to see, and even if I was wrong and its not a book, the anchor can still be found. It may also give us more time  if it injures the witches. It means that the witches will have to wait  until the next next  full moon to bring the dastes back."

He nodded, "But you should also travel by dragon-back." I looked at him confused but just nodded.

A few more hours went by discussing tactics and other possibilities.

"Katherine!" My mother called my name as she entered the meeting room, looking so vulnerable, which was ironic since everyone saw her as a threat.

"Hello Mama, we need your help, the daste witches are back." I revealed as I hugged her, and she stiffened. I pulled back, "They have an anchor here and we think we know what it is. But, we don't know how to destroy it."

"Only-only another daste witch can destroy the anchor."

"So you Mother!" I said, sighing in relief.

"Perhaps not. I'm not apart of their sist-hood anymore. You cannot really leave them and I am not sure how I did it. I thought had to give up the majority of my powers so I could leave their sist-hood, but I'm also mated to a wolf.  There are plenty of other reasons or maybe they don't see me as worthy anymore. I'm not sure if it'll work but I'll give it a try."

I nodded understanding, "So we should bring the anchor here. Then, you would have more time to figure out how to destroy it."

"Yes, that's a good idea."

"Everyone, can I please have your attention? Tomorrow evening, as I have already mentioned, I need a group of werewolves to come with me. Please could the alphas finalise the five people by ten minutes. I need as many dragons as possible and as appropriate. Makarios will explain your part in the mission. I also want to group F4N63 be prepared for tomorrow. Now everyone can rest for now."

I left the meeting hall and went to my room, my mother closely following behind me. I then proceeded to lie on the bed and my mother joined me. Whilst stroking my hair, I told her "I'm a monster. A real monster." Tears welled in my eyes.

'Why didn't you tell me you could shift into that Katherine? Why didn't you tell us?" She questioned me.

"Mama I was afraid. My wolf was something  I was not. But I was wrong. We are both monsters."

"Don't say that." She scolded.

"Mama, I killed Xavier and he w-was my mate!" I sobbed. " I'm cold-hearted and emotionless." After wiping my tears I continued "It doesn't matter anymore. My mate is dead. I'm next but that doesn't even bother me. He's dead because I killed him. I should have died. I shouldn't even be here. I never deserved him."

"Don't say such things Katerina!"

"It's true! I killed an innocent man who wasn't a real monster. He made himself out to be one. The moon goddess had blocked the bond and so I have not experienced the love that should be there between us, but I think I loved him anyway, not just his lycan but him too.. Maybe, if we had more time, I would have fallen in love with him entirely and surely. He was caring and protective of his people, he was intelligent and assertive, sometimes cocky but not too much, jealousy looked good on him at times..." My laugh was bitter-sweet. "Maybe, he would change me...He helped me control the monster in me. But now, there is no one to save me from myself."

"You need to do the saving." She said.

"I'm trying to save others, but I can't save everyone. I can't save myself, and I prefer it that way. I don't deserve to be saved."

"Katherine, the  F4N63 are currently at the demanded sight and they have discovered the ash site but no book was seen

"Katherine, the F4N63 are currently at the demanded sight and they have discovered the ash site but no book was seen."

I slumped my head. "Order their return."

"F4N63, return to base.