4 - WIZARDS

CHAPTER 4 | WIZARDS

THE Company had found camp for the night near the edge of a cliff after a day of riding

THE Company had found camp for the night near the edge of a cliff after a day of riding. Ygritte was thankful, as she hadn't gotten much sleep when she had been curled up on Bilbo's living room floor. Once they had tied up the ponies, gathered wood to start a fire, and eaten the food cooked by Bofur, they all went their separate ways for sleep before dawn would arrive.

Ygritte laid curled on her blanket, her cloak wrapped around her body as she used her arm for a pillow. Her father, Gandalf, sat next to her sleeping form, a pipe in his mouth, puffs of smoke occasionally filling the air around him.

If was when an ear-screeching scream ripped through the night air that Ygritte woke from her much needed slumber. Her hand instantly darted to the blade in her boot, but when her father placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, she calmed her nerves and let out a breath.

"What was that?" Bilbo asked in concern.

"Orcs," said Kili, just as another scream ripped through the air.

Thorin, who was dozing, jerked awake upon hearing the word Orcs, now alert with possible danger.

"Orcs?" Bilbo echoed.

"Throat­cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them," Fili said.

Ygritte rolled her eyes and laid back down, curling her cloak back around her body. She laid awake for a few moments, the adrenaline from panic still present in her veins. As she waited for sleep to pull her back in, she listened to the brother dwarves strike fear in Bilbo.

"They strike in the wee small hours," said Kili, "when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; no screams, just lots of blood."

When she heard their small laughter, she wanted to tell them to lay off and stop teasing the hobbit, who was clearing frightened still of the journey ahead, but her exhaustion wasn't allowing her mouth to form any words. She knew she would be back asleep soon enough.

"You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" With her eyes closed, she could tell it was Thorin whom was now speaking. His voice was very recognisable amoungst the Company. It was almost deeper than the others.

"We didn't mean anything by it," Kili said.

"No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world." Ygritte could hear someone walk after Thorin spoke.

"Don't mind him, laddie," said Balin to Bilbo. "Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon ─ " Balin cut himself off as he glanced over at Aninth and her dragon companion across the fire. He quickly corrected himself. "After Smuag took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got there first."