Chapter 35

" So that's it. That's my story. I've basically been abused my whole life" I said as I finished my story. "It's like, everything bad happens to me. First my awful childhood, then me being bullied at school, then I was adopted into a family that couldn't care less about me" I sighed. " My life sucks"

I looked up at Ryder to see his reaction to what I said. I told him everything except how my bullying started. That was a story for another day.

"Wow" he said with a shocked look mixed with a hint of pity. "I-I-I don't know what to say" he said, seemingly speechless. "I had no idea-" he paused as he stumbled on his words. "I am so sorry you had to go through that" he said with a sorry look on his face.

"Yea, me too" the voice came from behind.

Oh my God! Someone was listening!

I turned around slowly to see who had spoken. To my surprise, it was Micah and Dennis, standing at the door with a pained look on their faces.

A look of shock took over my features. "How long have you guys been standing there? How much did you hear?"

"We heard everything" Micah stated.  "We were outside and heard you guys talking"

"Oh" was all I could say. That's why I wasn't aware of their presence.

"We can't believe that that happened to you Dori" Dennis said. "I am so sorry"

I shook my head. This was exactly what I was running from; a pity party.

I was not weak. I didn't need anyone to feel sorry for me, it doesn't help. I mean, I've survived so far, haven't I?

"It's not your fault. You don't have to apologize." I said. "It's not like it's gonna change anything anyways. I mean, my childhood is already ruined, and so is my high school life. And now my crazy psycho father is out there waiting for the perfect moment to kill me. " I finished off in one breath.

"Well he won't get to you" Ryder said firmly. "we won't let him"

"Not over my dead body" ; "I'd die before I let him touch you" the others agreed in unison.

I shook my head. It's a pity that they didn't know. Three little high school bad boys couldn't do anything to stop my father.

" I appreciate your protection but trust me, if my father wanted to get to me, he would. He's just waiting for the right moment" I said to them realistically. "Plus, I don't want you guys getting in the cross fire between me and my dad."

"But Dori, we can't just sit idly by and watch you get taken away from us. You're our friend. Whatever affects you affects all of us" Dennis said.

"No!" I said firmly. "My father is more dangerous than you think. You have no idea what he's capable of. I'm not gonna let you guys get hurt because of me"

"You don't have any idea what we're capable of either" Micah spoke.

"I don't care!" Couldn't they get it through their thick skulls that I didn't want them to intervene. "Promise me that when the time comes, you guys will stay out of it"

"Do-"

"Promise me!"

Silence. They shared looks with each other.

I sighed. "If you really care about me, you'll respect my wishes"

A deafening be silence resonated around the room once more. Then the boys sighed heavily.

"Promise"

"Promise"

Their voices were barely above a whisper, as they hung their heads. But one person hadn't answered.

I looked over at Ryder, waiting patiently for a response. His eyes met mine and I could immediately see the war brewing behind his blue orbs. My heart warmed at the fact that he cared about me that much. But my statement still remained; I wanted no one getting hurt because of me.

He sighed and broke eye contact.

"Promise"