Chapter 56

Here is your update as promised. Enjoy ❤️

:::::::::

The lake was as silver as diamond flame and the atmosphere was conveniently quiet. Even the depths were vodka clear. It was soothing and strangely still. Freckled trout were leaping for flies and thunking on its surface. The rising sun caused a division of armed flies to swarm into the air. My nose caught the fresh smell of the forest surrounding the basin of water. The scene was so glorious and peaceful that I couldn't help but release a small sigh of content.

I could feel Ryder's gaze on me but I didn't want to turn around and look. The scenery of this place was too beautiful to ignore. But eventually....

"Do you like it?" I turned around to face him, immediately noticing the small smile he had on his face. I was tempted to say no, just so I could wipe the smile from his face, but my heart wouldn't allow me to be that cruel.

"I do" I replied, pursing my lips before looking at the forest floor.

Out of my peripheral vision, I could see him give a slight nod of his head. "I came here alot when I was younger. This place was my escape from all the shit that went on in my home," he sighed.

I furrowed my eyebrows at that. "You used to live here?" I thought it was the first time he had been to this town.

"Uhm..yea. We ended up moving when I was about six years old. We moved around alot because of the gang" Huh. I guess I really didn't know Ryder as much as I thought I did.

I nodded my head before crossing my arms over my chest and turned to him. "So what did you want to talk about?" I asked even though I knew exactly what he wanted to talk about.

He sighed and wiped his sweaty palms on his pants. If I wasn't so mad at him, I would have laughed at how hilarious the situation was. A big bad gang leader being nervous to talk to me.

Well there's a sentence I never thought I'd live to say.

He ran his hand through his thick, black hair. I swallowed thickly.

That shouldn't be allowed.

"Look Dori, I know you probably hate me right now and you want absolutely nothing to do with me, and I know I have absolutely no right to ask you to even talk to me right now but, please," he sighed and ran his hand through his hair again. "I've given you time. It obviously doesn't seem enough for you since you haven't even tried to reach out to me, not that I can blame you but- but I can't go on any longer. I-I'm a mess Dori, I-I-I can't- I don't know how much longer I can stay away." His voice sounded strained as he spoke.

I pursed my lips as I listened to him. Something about him sounding so desperate made my heart miss a beat. I unconsciously put my hand against my chest. That can't be good.

"I love you Dori" he said. "I don't care how much times I've said it before, I'll say it every single second for the rest of my life until you believe it. I made a mistake. A dumb mistake. And I am so sorry that I did. I'm sorry that I-I hurt you. But I swear I will spend the rest of my life making it up to you. If you just give me a chance. Give me a chance to be better, to do better, to love you the way you deserve. Please"

I sighed and shook my head. "I won't allow myself to be hurt again Ryder. I-I can't- I can't, I won't"

"I know. I know and I swear I will never do anything to hurt you ever again. I swear it. I know I don't deserve it but please give me this one last chance to make this right"

"Give me one good reason why I should"

"Because I love you" Well shit. "I love you so so much and I will never stop loving you. Not even death can stop me from loving you. Not even when an apple grows on a mango tree on the 30th of February. Not even-"