9 - First Impressions

I stick to Isaac's side as we stroll up the stairs to the high school. Only two days have passed since we all realized that I was a hybrid. Within those days, Isaac convinced Jackson to tell the sheriff that he actually never saw our dad abuse us. I wasn't there when Isaac did this because everyone said I was to weak to go, even though I went running the other day. I didn't bother to question. I needed some alone time. Anyways, Jackson went to the sheriff saying what Isaac told him to and we are no longer considered suspects in our father's death. 

   Now, we are allowed to go back to school and act as much as normal teenagers as we can aside from the whole supernatural thing. I may have become a hybrid and I know that you normal become more confident when you become a werewolf, but that's not who I am. Erica's personality changed drastically from when she was still human. I don't feel any drastic change in my personality. I'm still the shy girl that prefers to go unnoticed. 

   Isaac holds his head up high, a smirk spread across his lips as we walk down the hallway. I'd be lying if I said everyone didn't have their attention focused on us. My plan to go unnoticed seems to be crumbling. Isaac seems to be doing better at this. Confidence is oozing out of him. I wouldn't know what confidence was if it hit me with a brick.

   For some reason, Derek told us to get my schedule switched to match Isaac's. Oddly enough, it was easier than I expected. The counselor had no problem with switching any of my classes, even though it's in the middle of the term. I expected her to deny our request and laugh evilly. I may or may not watch too many movies.

   Isaac drapes his arm over my shoulder after we went to our lockers to grab our binder for our first class. "Ready for this?"

   "Don't really have a choice, do I?" I cross my arms over my binder against my chest. 

   "You're not still mad at me, are you?" Isaac pulls me off to the side just before we reach our first class. "I know I shouldn't have had Derek bite you. I'm sorry."

   "It's okay," I force a smile on my face. "That's not even on my mind, to be honest."

   "What is then?" 

   "Being a hybrid. Derek. The kanima, which is confusing for me. This girl Lydia that Derek thinks is the kanima." I rub my forehead. "It's just a lot to take in."

   Isaac gives me a one armed hug. "We're going to get through this."

   "Let's get to class before we're late." I step through the doorway into the classroom.

   Isaac follows behind me. I catch a whiff of a werewolf scent and it doesn't belong to Isaac. This whole heightened senses thing is taking some getting used to. Scanning the room, my eyes land on a boy I remember seeing at lacrosse practice. He stares at the two of us, equally shocked and confused. He knows Isaac is a werewolf, yet it seems like he can't pinpoint what  I am from his confused facial expression. My scent must be different.

   A nudge in my back urges me forward. I break the eye contact with the guy and walk towards two empty seats behind him. Isaac smirks at the guy as we sit down. I take the seat behind my brother, preferring to be in the back. Isaac leans back in his seat. 

   I lean on my desk to whisper in Isaac's ear. "Who's that?"

   "Scott McCall." Isaac doesn't bother to whisper. Whispering doesn't really matter anyways. If he's a werewolf, he'll hear us talking still. 

   I gaze at the back of Scott's head. "The one that Derek told us about?"

   "Yep." 

   I sit back down with my back against the plastic chair attached to my desk. Derek told us that Scott was bit in the beginning of the school year by his crazy uncle. He told us the whole story and the whole thing sounded like it belonged in a movie. Scott supposedly knows Lydia, the girl that Derek believes is the kanima, a supernatural creature that attacks murderers.