15 - Only Escape

I nervously fidget in the front seat of the Camaro. Derek hasn't said a word to me ever since the night of the rave. Honestly, I'm scared to hear what he is going to say about my actions. Tonight is the full moon and if I was a full werewolf, I'd be back with the rest of the pack chained up. Since I'm a hybrid, the full moon won't affect me as badly. By that I mean, I won't want to kill everyone and everything in sight. Derek is staying back to help Erica, Boyd, and Isaac during the full moon, whereas, he wants me to help Scott and his friends in any way that I can tonight.

   "Why aren't you yelling at me?" I break the silence in the dark car. "You told me not to do something and I did it anyway. Shouldn't you be furious?" 

   Derek looks over for the first time this whole drive. "I'm not mad."

   I furrow my eyebrows. "Why not?"

   "Scott told me what happened in there. He said you fought against Victoria. You tried to save both of you and if she hadn't cut you, you probably would have saved the two of you. If you hadn't gone, Scott could have died. You're a lot stronger than I give you credit for, Chloe."

   Tears gather in my eyes at his words. The last sentence sunk into me the most. No one has called me strong. I've never been strong. I could never be strong when I needed to. Not when Dad would abuse me, not when mom died, not when dad blamed me for mom dying, not when Isaac needed me to be strong. Strong has never been in my vocabulary. 

   "I clearly wasn't strong enough." I wipe away a tear that slide down my cheek.

   "You're still learning." Derek parks his car in front of Lydia Martin's house.. "You kept the two of you alive. That's all that mattered."

   "Victoria?" Her name tastes bitter on my tongue. "What happened to her?"

   Derek turns to face me. "She won't be a problem anymore."

   I stare at the house barely lit up. "Just make sure Isaac doens't complete lose control. I don't like being away from him. It doesn't feel right, it never does, but I know it's important if I help out tonight."

   "Just call if you need anything." Derek says as I climb out of his car.

   I nod my head before walking up the pebbled driveway. Stiles' jeep and is the only car I recognize. At least, I'll have Stiles to talk to. I reach the front door and hit the doorbell. I can do this. It's just a high school party. I should be fine, right? 

   The front door swings open and none other than Lydia Martin is standing there with a tray of drinks in her right hand. Her eyes narrow slightly and she cocks her head to the side. "And, you are?"

   "Um- I-" 

   Stiles rushes forward out of nowhere. "She's a friend of mine."

   Lydia presses her lips together for a second. Like a flick of a switch, she breaks out in a smile. "In that case, this is for you." She holds out a glass filled with a pink liquid that is no doubt some kind of alcohol. 

   I shake my head. "I don't drink."

   "Oh, sweetheart, this is a party. Everyone drinks." Lydia sets the glass in my hand. She smirks and walks to another section of her house. 

   Stiles just stands on the other threshold. He rubs the back of his head. "You'll get used to her." I bite my lip, unsure of what to do next. Stiles realizes how awkward the situation is and claps his hands. "Uh...Scott is in the other room. Come on."

   I follow Stiles into the house after shutting the door behind me. The house is huge, much bigger than the one I grew up in. There is a more a home-y feel to it. Scott is leaning up against a wall, his phone held in both of his hands. We haven't seen each other since that night. He tears his eyes away from his lit up screen and smiles.