12 - Runt

Bouncing on my toes to stay warm in the cool, brisk air of Beacon Hills, I wait outside of the animal clinic, standing in between Isaac and Derek. I was just about to go to bed when I heard these two trying to leave. Of course, I had to tag along because I didn't want Isaac to leave without me. Isaac wraps his arm around me to warm me up. I press myself closer to him, enjoying the heat radiating off of him.

   I've slowly become more involved with the whole kanima thing. Mainly because Erica likes to drag me the places she goes to find more information out. I think with us being the only girls in the pack, she likes to hang out with me, even if we are complete opposites.

   Scott approaches the entrance to the clinic from the inside and unlocks the door to let us in. His face scrunches up for a split second. "What's he doing here?"

    I would guess that Scott doesn't like my brother. I can't say I honestly blame him. Isaac did try to kill one of his friends.  I follow Derek inside of the warm building. The place looks like a normal animal clinic. I don't really know why we are here. Derek may have said that he needed some vets help with dealing with the kanima, aka Jackson.

   "I need him." Derek simply replies, not elaborating.

   "I don't trust him." Scott glares at my brother as we pass by him.

   Isaac gently pushes me through the building. "Yeah, well, he doesn't trust you either."

   Third person? Is that really necessary?

   Derek comes to a stop. "You know what? And Derek really doesn't care. Now where's the vet? Is he gonna help us or not?"

   "That depends." A voice says from behind me, making me jump in surpise. A darker skinned man leans up against the doorway, arms crossed over a button up shirt. "Your friend, Jackson. Are we planning to kill him or save him?"

   "Kill him." Derek answers without giving it a second thought.

   "Save him." Scott says the exact same time. They turn to give each other a look. "Save him." Scott tells Derek with a certain tone to his voice. He turns back to the vet. "Save him."

   The vet leads the four of us in a lab room. I stand in the middle between my brother and Scott. How could a vet help us with a freaky lizard that's going on a killing spree? The vet, who eventually tells us his name is Deaton, grabs a tray of little bottles and sets it down on the table all of us are standing behind. Isaac automatically reaches out to pick one of the bottles up. Sometimes, his curiosity gets the best of him.

    Derek's hand snaps out, grabbing Isaac's wrist before he can touch any of them. "Watch what you touch."

   Deaton picks up one of the small bottles. Each bottle is labeled with a weird symbol on the top, but none of them make any sense to me. Deaton must know what they mean.

   Isaac lowers himself down to rest his forearms on the table. "So, what are you? Some kind of witch?"

   "No, I'm a veterinarian. Unfortunately, I don't see anything here that's going to be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin." Deaton says while placing the bottle back.

   "We're open to suggestions." Derek replies.

   "What about an effective offense?" Isaac asks from the table.

   "We already tried. I nearly took its head off. And Argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up." That was the other night when Derek chased the kanima down. I was asleep in my makeshift room when all of that happened, not finding out about anything until I woke up the next morning.