19 - Goodbyes

"So, you're really leaving?" 

   Erica simply nods and if I wasn't so close, I wouldn't catch the few tears sliding down her cheeks. "Yeah, Boyd and I think it's for the best. We don't really have another choice. If we stay here any longer, I won't be surprised if we wind up dead." 

   Boyd steps further in my small bedroom. "Isaac said he was thinking of coming with."

   "Yeah," I brush a piece of hair back away from my face. "He said it might be best for us." 

   "You don't want to go, do you?" Boyd guesses.

   I tuck my legs underneath me on my bed. "Not really. I actually have friends here, for the first time ever. Stiles and Scott. I know that if we stay here, we're risking a lot, but I trust Derek." 

   Erica sits down next to me, her hands in her lap. She presses her lips in a thin line while staring at me with watery eyes. "I'm really going to miss you. You're like the little sister I never knew I wanted."

   I wrap my arms around her neck in one, quick motion. "I'm going to miss you, too. And, who knows, maybe we will come with you guys. Maybe we won't get separated."

   "I think you've already made your decision." Erica whispers, her voice cracking.

   I squeeze my eyes shut. She's right. Erica knows me better then myself. I don't want to leave Beacon Hills. Aside from the all of the supernatural, I feel at home here, even more now that I don't have to worry about being trapped in a freezer for hours on end. Isaac wants to leave, but only because Boyd and Erica are leaving. He thinks that we should stick together, that there's nothing else for us here. I disagree with that.

   I hug Erica even tighter. "I'm going to miss you so, so much."

   Erica's body starts to shake from silent sobs. She sniffles in my right ear. "Just promise me one thing? You'll never give up. You're so much stronger than you give yourself credit for. I know you went through hell when your dad was still alive, but look how far you have come. You're strong now and you're going to get stronger. Everyone who ever called you weak will regret it one day."

   "I promise." 

   The wind blows through my hair. The cool, brisk air against my face reminds me of how real everything is. Erica and Boyd are getting ready to leave tonight. Derek is back at his old home that was burned down. He said he needed to collect his thoughts. I don't blame him. His pack is about to leave him. For all I know, I could be leaving as well. That's the last thing I want to do, though. Isaac is my brother and if he leaves, I go with him. I refuse to be separated.

   Isaac suggested we go for a walk about thirty minutes ago. I knew he needed time to think, too. I decided I would let him make the decision on whether we leave or stay. He knows what I want to do, but he's, also, thinking of what's best for both of us. Part of me is proud that he is actually thinking of what we should do instead of just picking one. He used to do that. Become so clouded with what he thought was right that he always choose the wrong choice. That is how I died and became a hybrid.

   Not a word has been spoken since we left for our walk. We're both drowning in our own thoughts to actually worry about a conversation. If Isaac wants to talk, then he will be the one to start up a conversation. I don't even know where we are going. I'm assuming that Isaac does because I've been following him this entire time. 

   "Do you think they are doing the right thing?" Isaac asks with his head still hanging down. His hands hasn't left his front pockets throughout the whole duration of this walk.