Chapter 15

Rachel was looking forward to her date with Brad, she made sure to look her best that night, she really wanted to impress Brad considering it was her first date since the divorce. They were going to a nice restaurant by the beach. She got into her Carolla and headed on over to his house. Brad was standing outside in his tuxedo, his brown curly hair blowing in the wind with a smile showing through his mustache. He walked up to the car got in and they drove off.

When they arrived at the restaurant they sat down and order their drinks and food. Rachel got a dirty martini and Brad got a Bud Light.

"So, Brad other then working in the accounting department at work, what things do you like to do in your spare time?" she asked trying to get the conversation started

"Well I like to read the newspaper, watch tv, go to the movies, play tennis and golf. Recently I have been running for 20 minutes everyday after work to start getting in shape more." he said shyly still sinking in that he was on a date with Rachel

"Tell me about your life story, how did you end up in accounting?" she quizzed him becoming intrigued

"Well it's a long story. I grew up on the farm just outside of Monroe Wisconsin. My parents grew up as diary famers and wanted me to be a diary farmer as well when I grew up, as you can see that did not pan out. I enjoyed it as a kid but when I grew up I knew it was not the life for me, I enjoyed business and my father told me about getting into accounting. After I graduated high school I moved to Kansas to go to Missouri State in the accounting program. After I graduated and got my CPA I worked in Wisconsin as an accountant for retail stores such as Walmart. I then wanted the city life and moved to NYC and ended up at the first job offer which is where I still am 8 years later." he said trying to catch his breath "sorry it's not the most exciting story"

"No that's okay your too humble I found it interesting! Tell me have you ever been married?" she said her interest building as she took a sip of her martini

"No, I have never been married, I have had lots of relationships that just burn out. The longest relationship I had was to Sandra which was only 2 years overall. My parents have been asking when are you going to get married and I tell them when I am ready. I mean I know I am 32 but I like to take things at my own pace" he said throwing his arms up in a defensive position trying to get his point across. I was wondering if you would be interested in telling your life story?"

"Well I grew up in a mansion in Long Island, I was sort of a daddy's girl so to speak. I got engaged to an orthodontist named Barry but I ran out at the alter as I was not really in love with him. I ended up in NYC and moved into my best friend Monica's place. From there I worked as a waitress and started dating my ex-husband Ross. We had an on and off again relationship for 10 years before finally getting married. We were married for 6 years before our differences got the best of us which ended in divorce around a year ago. I have 4 beautiful kids and a great group of friends that you will meet soon enough, well you know one which is Pam." she said summing it up as quickly as possible, no point in getting into the nitty gritties of who or who was not on a break.

"I am really glad we opened up with each other, most of my first dates they like to be closed and reserved before getting to know each other more" he said with his voice filled with relief.

The rest of the night went without a hitch with them both getting to know more about each other and tell funny stories. Rachel learned about Brad's great sense of humor considering he was always the quiet one in the meetings and Brad learned about the mature side of Rachel who was always playing practical jokes on people. They both agreed to get coffee's after work tomorrow. Rachel drove Brad back to his house after.