27.

"Who is he?" someone says and I look up to see James looking at me.

"What?" I asked

"That David guy, who is he?" James asked and I stare at him.

"A friend of my moms... that's all" I said. He stares at me and shakes his head.

"I'm sorry... about earlier"

"It's fine. I don't want to talk about it"

"I was being inconsiderate to your feelings and I shouldn't have touched you the way I did"

"James... leave it alone" I said and he leans against my door frame.

"I screwed up didn't I?" he asked and I look at him. He looks up towards the ceiling and shakes his head.

"We should tell your mom" he says.

"NO!" I yell. I cover my mouth hoping my mom and David didn't hear me yell. I get up, pulling James into my room and shutting the door. I look at him and he stares at me. "We can't"

"Remi..."

"She can leave you, that's fine. But she's my mom. She can't leave me!"

"Remi, she's your mother, she will never leave you" he says and I stare at him.

"James, please don't"

"Is she screwing him?" he asked and I look at him.

"What?"

"Remi come on, just tell me. Is your mom and David messing around?"

"No James, they're friends" I said and he laughs and shakes his head. He leaves my bedroom and heads downstairs. What is he doing? I head downstairs and James stops in the living room.

"Honey... I thought you were changing?" my mom said and James laugh.

"Are you fucking him Tonya?" James says and my mouth drops open. My mom glances at me then straightens her back.

"Excuse me?"

"Come on... let's be honest. Throw it on the table" he says. Gahdamn, I thought this would play out privately and later down the line. Another time when I'm not in the room. Why did I follow him downstairs. My mom clears her throat and takes a deep breath.

"I was going to tell you James" she says and James starts laughing.

"Don't have to, I could already tell" he says and David looks down. "What was the plan? To tell me together? Or were you going to leave a note and pack your bags and leave?"

"James... maybe we should do this in private" my mom says.

"No. We should talk about it now. I'm not mad Tonya, I've been messing around with someone too" he says and my heart stops. Oh no. I'm not prepared.

"What?" she said.

"Yea... I mean I couldn't keep my hands off of her" he says. He's going to say my name. He's going to say my name. He's going to say my name. I feel it. It's happening.

"You've been cheating on me?" my mom says.

"Yea and you've been cheating on me" James says. Everyone was quiet and my mom laughs and shakes her head. "Who were we kidding?"

"Yea... you're right" my mom says taking off her engagement ring. I think I saw her shed a tear and I was confused. She was cheating on James! She throws the ring on the couch and grabbed David's hand. "I'll be to pick up my stuff tomorrow" she says.

"Sounds good" he says.

"Remi... did you want to stay at a hotel tonight?" my mom asked and everyone's eyes walked to mine.

"No... it's fine. I'll stay here" I answered.

"Alright, if you need anything, please let me know" she says and her and David walk to the door. Once the door shuts, the room falls silent. I stare at James back and he doesn't move. His head hangs low and he shakes his head and walks away. I see him turn down the hall to his office and I lean against the wall. I look down at the time and I would have to leave in about twenty minutes for work. I dial New Grounds and Dawson picks up.

"Hey... it's Remi"

"Hey, you okay? I'm sorry I didn't answer your call earlier, I was in a meeting"

"It's fine. Um... I won't be able to make it to work today"

"What? Why?"

"Family stuff" I said.

"Is that the excuse?" he says.

"Wait, what?"

"You're not coming in because I kissed you last night, right?"

"No Dawson. I'm really dealing with something right now"

"Anything I can do?"

"No, it's fine. I'm sorry this is last minute"

"Well Remi, if you need anything... please just let me know"

"I will. Thanks Dawson" I said as we get off the phone. I walk down the hall to James office. I started to think to myself, why did I just call off work? But I didn't want James to be alone. Although he messed around on my mom, it still must suck to know she was doing the same. James was leaning against his desk reading something on his phone. "Hey" I said and he looks at me.

"Hey, you about to head into work?" he asked.

"Actually... I called off" I said and he stares at me.

"Remi, you didn't have to do that, I'm fine"

"Are you?" I said getting closer to him.

"Yes, and I think you should stay at a hotel tonight" he says and I stare at him.

"Why?"

"Why not?" he asked. For starters, I don't feel like packing an outfit and going to a hotel.

"Because... I just want to make sure you're alright"

"Why wouldn't I be? I cheated on her as well"

"Yea, I know but..."

"Remi, listen..." he says and I stare at him. "I'm not a good guy... at all. I cheated on my fiancé. I cheated with her daughter. I touched you inappropriately. I wasn't considering your feelings. I didn't try to get to know you. I know I've disappointed you plenty of times and I'm sorry. But you shouldn't stay"

"Okay, you didn't pressure me into doing things with you. I wanted to" I said and he stares at me. "Yea, you pissed me off, but... who says we can't start over and become friends"

"I don't want to be friends with you" he laughs.

"Oh? Why?" I asked.

"Because I'm sexually attracted to you" he answers and my heart started pumping.

"Oh..." I said. Oh? Did I just say 'oh'? really? That's the best I could come up with... 'oh'.

"And that's wrong"

"Because I'm her daughter?"

"That... but because I'm not trying to get to know you Remi. Do you not get it?" he laughs.

"You don't want to get emotionally involved with me"

"Yea... pretty much. And you don't deserve that. You deserve a nice guy... like Mason. Who will make you laugh, take care of you and treat you well"

"Not Dawson?" I joked.

"No... not him. Not a chance" James says and I laugh. I stare at him and shake my head.

"Well... I'm still staying so nice try. If you order food, I'll pick the movie" I said leaving his office.

PLEASE VOTE!💙