Chapter thirteen

Minho received so many congratulations and hand shakes, it took a long time to leave.

When they were finally able to pry him away, they left the school and walked towards the ice cream parlor.

They were all laughing and talking but Thomas tuned out, hanging back from the others. He was still thinking about the differences from the day.

In both dreams, Thomas wasn't able to get his friends back in time. So how come he was able to?

Someone fell in step with him. Newt.

"Been thinkin'," Newt said.

   "About what?" Thomas replied automatically.

   "This whole dream business of yours," he answered. "And what's this about a maze?"

   Thomas chuckled halfheartedly. "It's a long long story."

   "Well, at least tell me about what happened at the race," Newt said. "You told me Minho and Alby weren't supposed to make it. And Alby was hurt. None of that happened."

   Thomas wished he had an answer. He scratched his head. "I—I don't know why," he said honestly. "That's not it happened in my dreams." He proceeded to give him the details of how he ran into the Maze alone and got stuck inside.

   Newt was quiet for a long moment, pondering. "Well, I guess that settles it," he said at last. "You don't have to worry about this dream thing anymore. It's obviously not always true."

   Thomas wanted nothing more than to believe him but he still had the doubts in the back of his head. "I . . ." His words faded out.

Thankfully, he was saved from answering as they arrived at the ice cream parlor.

   He stopped mid step, making Newt stumble into him.

   "You alright?" Newt asked.

   Thomas didn't respond. He was starting to feel dizzy. That was the last place he'd been with Chuck before he died.

   Minho glanced back, flashing his trademark grin until he noticed Thomas paling. He frowned and walked over.

   "Chuck?" He whispered, reaching out to steady Thomas who'd begun to stumble backwards.

   Thomas nodded, his heart beat picking up. He couldn't be back here. Not so soon. Not so close to where it happened. He couldn't.

He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to control his breathing.

   "Okay," Minho said, looking at Alby and Newt. "I'll take him home. You two get our ice cream. I'll be back soon."

   Thomas was able to gather his bearings enough to reply. "No, I'm okay. I—I can stay."

   "You look like you're about to pass out," Newt said, his eyebrows scrunched in concern. "Go home. We'll text you. It's okay."

   Thomas nodded, though his head was still fuzzy. "Okay."

   He let Minho guide him away.