Chapter seventy eight

Thomas didn't see Newt for the rest of the day.

He and Minho had even tried going over to his house but Sonya said he was too out of it, that he didn't want to talk to anyone.

So when Thomas arrived at Teresa's house the next day and saw Newt there, he didn't hesitate to rush over and pull his friend into his arms.

Newt was still okay, he wasn't Gone yet.

The older boy hesitated only a second before hugging him back.

"I'm sorry," the two said at the same time, making Thomas laughed.

After a moment, Newt laughed as well, actually laughed.

Thomas realized just how long it had been since he'd heard the sound. It made him glad to see Newt happy again.

He was even more glad that the tension between them was gone.

"I'm sorry about that," Thomas said, pushing away. "Back there. I guess-"

"Tommy," Newt interrupted, but there was no anger in his voice. "Don't say a bloody word."

Thomas complied, making the gesture of zipping his mouth shut. Newt shoved him playfully before continuing.

"I just needed a second and then I was fine," he assured him. "No need to worry your buggin' pants off. I can deal."

Thomas wanted to tell his friend that he would always worry but he realized the only thing he could do was treat Newt the same as he always had.

So that's what he did.

"Fine," Thomas relented, looking around the room. "Is everybody here yet?"

"Not yet," Teresa answered, walking over. "Gally and Frypan aren't here, neither is my dad." She glanced around. "Not a lot to do in here but wait around."

Thomas glanced at Newt before turning back to Teresa. "Are you too busy to talk to me?"

"I guess not," she answered. She pointed to a couple of empty chairs in the corner of the living room. "We can talk over here."

Newt clapped Thomas on the shoulder before walking off. "I'm gonna go find Minho. I'll see you around."

"See ya," he replied, following Teresa.

They sat down and Thomas moved his chair to face her.

"So," Thomas started, unsure of what to say. He'd been planning to try convincing her to call off the field trip, but he wasn't sure how.

He had even considered asking Newt for help but he was too unpredictable. Thomas knew that after his episode with Lawrence.

It wasn't worth the risk.

Thomas had to do this himself.

"So," Teresa repeated when Thomas didn't continue.

"Where do I start?" He asked.

Teresa chuckled. "This was your idea. You tell me."

Thomas took a few seconds to gather his thoughts.

"I'll start by giving your dad the benefit of the doubt," he began. "But a construction sight? Isn't that dangerous?"

"No, you don't understand," Teresa explained. "The whole area's restricted. You can't get in unless you're with the tour. Nobody will be working, it's perfectly safe."

Thomas ran a hand through his hair, opening his mouth to speak but Teresa continued.

"That's why you're coming with us," she assured. "To keep everybody safe."

He shook his head in frustration. This wasn't going the way he wanted at all. "I still don't like this idea." It was a weak attempt, but he was out of ideas.

"I'm sorry," Teresa said through a sigh. "All I can tell you is that it's perfectly safe. I do believe we'll be fine, but I need you. It's different now, you'll see."

"Okay," Thomas relented through a sigh.

He had to agree. It would be different.

But not in a good way.

~~~

Thomas stepped out of the car Teresa's dad, Mr. Agnes drove them in before walking over to the bus load of kids.

He stopped when Brenda came out of the bus.

Thomas knew she was the one driving the kids in his dreams, but he didn't think that was legal in real life.

"Brenda?" He asked. "What are you . . ."

He faltered when somebody else walked out from the other side of the bus, the real driver.

"Hola, hermano," Jorge said. He nodded at Brenda. "I picked up a stray."

"I can tell," Mr. Agnes said, walking over with the others. "You guys all ready to go?"

"Not yet," Brenda answered, pointing a thumb over her shoulder. "Some kids are still inside."

"Well, let's go get them out," Mr. Agnes said. That's when Thomas realize the man had taken Vince's place.

Leaving them to their conversation, Thomas walked over to Minho. He had to let him know what was going on, what was about to happen.

"Hey, Minho," Thomas said sadly. "We need to talk."

"Sure," Minho said, the concern obvious on his face. "What's up?"

Thomas took a deep breath before explaining the situation, starting with how he found out that everything was about to tie in with the dreams. Something bad was about to happen. And whatever it was, it was leading up to Newt's death.

"Have you told him yet?" Minho asked when he was finished.

Thomas shook his head. "He's been, um, a bit unpredictable recently, a little violent. I didn't think it was a good idea."

Minho nodded, understanding. "So what are we going to do?"

"Protect the kids first," was Thomas' immediate answer. "Something bad is about to happen. We have to take care of them but keep an eye on Newt as well."

"Keep him away from all knives and guns," Minho said sarcastically, though his voice was laced with bitterness. "Otherwise . . ." He didn't need to finish the sentence.

Thomas closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as he tried to ignore his pounding heart.

This was going to be it. Either they save Newt or they don't.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and opened his eyes to see Minho staring at him, concerned.

"Remember what I said," his friend reminded. "Newt's not going to die. Not on my watch. I won't let it happen."

Thomas wanted to believe him, more than anything.

But he couldn't.

The dreams couldn't be stopped.