Chapter seventy one

"So you guys remember the plan, right?" Gally asked as they walked through the halls.

Thomas nodded, seeing the others do the same.

He still didn't like the plan though. Not because he thought going to talk to Janson was a bad idea, but because the plan didn't include Newt.

He was trying to trust what his friend said, that the dreams would stay the same without him there, but Thomas was having a hard time believing it.

Unfortunately, there was no going back now.

He kept walking towards the principal's office with his friends. Soon enough, there was nobody except the five of them since school was over.

They wouldn't have much time to talk.

He just hoped it would be long enough.

"Remember," Teresa said, stopping outside of Janson's office. "I'm doing the talking. You guys are just agreeing with me. Got it?"

Thomas stifled a sigh and nodded again.

It was now or never.

Everybody walked inside, making their principal look up from the papers he was reading.

"Students," he greeted. He gestured to the chair in front of his desk. "Please have a seat."

Teresa sat down and everybody stood behind her.

"This is such a bad idea," Thomas muttered.

"Be careful," Brenda warned just as quietly. "You sort of have this problem where you can't shut up around people. Even when you should."

Thomas looked at her as she put a finger to her mouth.

He shut up.

"We're here to talk about Minho," Teresa said. "We think it's best that he comes back to school."

Janson let out a long sigh before speaking. "Do you know what this place is, Teresa? It's a school. There are some pretty terrible kids here but that doesn't mean we have to go down with them. I'm sorry, but it's going to be a no."

"Minho should get the same education as us," Teresa continued. "No matter what he did."

"He never earned it," Janson scoffed. "He doesn't deserve it."

"Maybe," Teresa admitted. "But it's his. It should be his choice. You shouldn't just force him out of the school like this."

Janson stared at her skeptically for a few seconds before looking up at Thomas.

"What about you, Thomas?" He asked. "What do you have to say?"

"Uh, well," Thomas stuttered. In his dream, he didn't say anyway. He has at cracked the glass and let the cranks take care of the rest. "I agree with Teresa. Everything she said."

As soon as he finished speaking, the rest of the Gladers chimed in, saying how logical Teresa had been and that Minho deserves an education.

"What is it with you kids?" Janson mumbled. "You think he's so special."

Here it comes, Thomas thought. He's going to say no. He won't let Minho come back. Just because Newt isn't here. He's going to

"Alright," their principal relented. "I'll call Minho's parents and discuss it with them. He'll be back within the week." He got up and opened the door. "Thank you for seeing me."

Thomas stared in shock as the others smiled, slapping each other on the back.

He was getting Minho back.

It had worked.

Everybody said their thank yous, even Thomas, as they left Janson's office.

Still in shock, Thomas called Newt to tell him the news.

"Hey, Tommy," Newt said as soon as he picked up. "What's up?"

"It worked," Thomas answered. "Janson agreed. Minho's coming back."

Newt let out a long, satisfied sigh.

"Guess you didn't need me after all." Thomas could hear the smirk in his voice. "Like I told you."

"Okay, okay," he said. "You were right."

"Mhm," Newt hummed. "Don't doubt me again, Tommy. I'm always right."

"Except the time you thought narwhals weren't real," Thomas reminded him.

"Bloody hell . . ."

~~~

Thomas didn't see any sign of Minho for the first three days.

By the fourth day, he was starting to think Janson had lied.

"I haven't seen him yet," Thomas complained.

"He'll be here," Newt stated, leaving no room for arguments.

Thomas argued anyway.

  "But what if Janson lied? What if he's never coming back. Or maybe he was actually kidnapped and he—"

"Tommy."

"It could happen, Newt. I'm just saying—"

"Tommy."

"What?" Thomas sighed, looking over at his friend.

Newt was staring straight ahead. He pointed.

Thomas followed his finger to see their friend, standing in the middle of the hall with a grin.

Minho.

Minho.

Thomas didn't even think, he ran forward with Newt alongside him. The two crashed into their best friend, enveloping him in a tight hug.

Minho laughed, wrapping his arms around them. "I missed you guys too."

After a few seconds. Thomas realized he had no reason to let go. There was no mission to complete, no guards to avoid, no cranks to escape from.

He held on to his friend tighter.

Newt let go a second later. "We missed you, Minho."

"I gathered," Minho chuckled. He ruffled Thomas' hair. "And as much as I missed you, Thomas, let go."

Thomas was about to cling to his friend but Minho managed to peel him off.

He gave his friend a fake pout.

"I have a reputation to keep," Minho explained with a wink.

Newt snorted as Thomas laughed.

Minho smirked. "That's just my way of saying I missed you, you ugly shanks."

"Look who's talking," Newt countered.

Minho raised an eyebrow. "I'm gorgeous."

Newt shoved him.

"Yeah, yeah," the blonde complained. "I missed you, Min."

"We all did," Thomas added. "Everyone is going to be so happy when they find out you're back."

"Just tell them no paparazzi," Minho requested.

Newt rolled his eyes. "On the other hand, maybe I didn't miss you."

Thomas usually would've agreed, but he was too glad to have his friend back. He couldn't complain about anything he did just then.

"Yeah but Thomas missed me," Minho said, throwing an arm across his shoulders and pulling him close. "Right?"

Thomas responded by shoving his friend off.

Yeah.

He definitely missed Minho.