Chapter sixty six

After school, Thomas invited Newt, Minho, Brenda, and Frypan to come hang out with Gally at McDonalds.

He wanted them all to get to know each other like they did in his dreams.

Thomas spotted the boy in his hoodie again, sitting in a circle booth all alone. Thomas made his way over, gesturing for his friends to follow.

"You know this guy?" Brenda asked, looking over at Thomas.

"Yup," Frypan answered before Thomas could. "He's an old friend. You'll like him, I promise."

Brenda shrugged nonchalantly as if she couldn't care either way.

Gally looked up with a smile when he saw Thomas and the others.

"Glad you came," he said, moving over so the others had room to sit. "Because the end of the world is upon us."

Thomas gave him a confused expression, looking at the others to see they were equally confused.

"The ice cream machine is broken," Gally explained. "We'll have to settle for french fries or something."

Everybody chuckled, nodding in understanding.

Thomas had to admit, Gally knew how to make a good first impression. At least when he wasn't drunk.

The boy gestured at the large booth. "Have a seat," he offered.

Everybody slid in, Thomas ended up between Minho and Newt and across from Brenda and Frypan.

He'd been hesitant about inviting Minho and Frypan because they only met Gally in one version and Thomas didn't know which one this would be.

But since he wasn't inviting Jorge either way, he figured it'd be alright. By the fact that everybody showed up, he knew it was going to be fine.

"So, Gally, you know Frypan," Thomas introduced awkwardly. "This is Newt, Minho, and Brenda." He pointed at each person individually. "They're all from WICKED—"

"Glade," Newt corrected.

"Right," Thomas said. He forgot to change that part. "Glade highschool, I mean. That's where I met everybody."

"I know all about the school," Gally said with a laugh. "I used to go there, you know. At least, until Janson made me leave because he thought I was insane. How did you think I knew all the Glader slang?"

"Uh, I don't know," Thomas stuttered. He figured it was only because he used it in his dreams.

"Tommy?" Newt teased, smirking. "Did you think he just coincidentally made it up?"

Thomas blushed, looking down. "Maybe," he muttered.

Everybody laughed.

Minho shook his head, grinning. "Thomas, we already knew Gally," he explained. "Why do you think we agreed to come hang out?"

"All of us knew except me," Brenda cut in.

Gally reached across Frypan to shake her hand. "Well, it's nice to meet you then."

"Yeah, yeah," Brenda said, shaking his hand sarcastically. "Anyway, I'm gonna go get us some food. Hope you don't mind what I get because I'm not taking orders.. Bye." She got up and left.

Gally gestured at her with his thumb. "I like her."

"Yeah," Minho said, rolling his eyes. "She's like a princess."

"Ooh, does somebody have a crush?" Newt teased, leaning around Thomas to smirk at his friend.

Minho responded by shoving Thomas, making him lean into Newt who fell off the booth.

"Thanks, Minho," Thomas grumbled, rubbing his sore arm as Newt sat down again.

"No problem," Minho answered brightly. Newt leaned over to hit him in the head.

Before they could start fighting across Thomas, Brenda arrived with a large order of french fries. The two looked up hungrily, clearly forgetting their argument.

"Thanks Brenda," Thomas said, shoving a handful in his mouth.

"Sure thing," She responded, sliding into the booth again. "But I don't expect any complaints since I paid."

There were no complaints whatsoever as all of the boys were too busy stuffing their faces.

Brenda scrunched up her nose, taking one fry and popping it in her mouth. "You guys are disgusting."

Nobody responded. Whether it was because their mouths were full or they were too busy trying to eat more, Thomas didn't know.

"Anyway," Minho said as soon as the food was gone. "We should probably go now. Don't want to be late."

"Right," Thomas remembered, pushing the tray away. They were still supposed to meet The Right Arm.

Gally looked around, confused. "Go where? We just got here."

"The Right Arm," Frypan answered. "You know, that group I was telling you about?"

"Oh yeah, I remember," Gally said with a nod. "But you guys have to leave now?"

"Gally, just come with us," Thomas offered.

He looked at him hesitantly.

"I mean," Thomas said when Gally didn't answer. "You don't have to come with us, but we are leaving. Vince would be cool with you tagging along. I know that."

The boy nodded slowly. "Good luck against the cranks."

Everyone's expression fell.

"You mean you aren't coming?" Newt asked.

"No, I'm coming," Gally said. "I'm just not taking care of those cranks." He shuddered. "Never interacting with those things again."

Thomas wanted to ask about what experience he had with cranks but Frypan started talking.

"Either way, we'd be glad to have you," the chef said, slapping his friend on the back.

"Blah, blah, blah," Brenda said, standing up. "We won't make it in time if you guys don't clean up your mess."

Thomas looked down at the table to see a mess of salt and fries.

Oops.

"Sorry 'bout that," Newt said, cleaning them up. "Didn't mean to spread the chips everywhere."

"Fries, Newt," Minho corrected, whispering exaggeratedly so that everyone could hear. "This is America, remember?"

Newt sighed, rolling his eyes. "You Americans and your fries and stuff. Why did you have to change English?"

He sounded genuinely annoyed but everyone laughed anyway.

"Whatever," Newt said, rolling his eyes though Thomas caught the smallest trace of a smirk. "Let's clean up the fries and go."