Chapter thirty one

The next day, Thomas ran into Brenda.

   Literally.

   Minho had been late for their morning jog because he couldn't find his Runnie-undies so they were late for class. Thomas had been rounding a corner when he ran smack into Brenda, making her drop the books she was carrying.

"Sorry," Thomas said, stopping when he realized who it was. "Oh . . . it's you."

"Me?" Brenda asked, crouching down to pick up her books. "Never met you before."

"Um, I just," Thomas stuttered. "You're the new kid, right?"

Brenda nodded, standing up again. "One of the few. I'm Brenda." She shifted her books to hold out her hand.

"Thomas." He shook.

Brenda continued to stare at him long after it got awkward. Thomas shifted uncomfortably and she grinned. Then she stood on her toes and kissed him on the cheek.

"I like you," she said with a smirk. "How about a date sometime?"

Thomas responded with something intelligent like, "um."

Thankfully, he was saved from responding by Newt walking up. He grabbed Thomas' arm and started pulling him away.

"There you are, Tommy," Newt said. "Come on. You're late for class."

   Thomas avoided Brenda's gaze as they walked away. He focused on Newt instead. "Sorry," he whispered so Brenda wouldn't here. "I kind of got held up."

His friend chuckled, rounding the corner then turning to face him. "I know. That's why I got you out of there."

Thomas huffed a sigh of relief. "Thanks."

Newt grinned, patting his shoulder before turning around again. "Come on," he said, shooting a grin over his shoulder. "Now we're really late."

Thomas didn't have to be told twice. He followed.

~~~

"Why are you worrying?" Minho asked during lunch. "Who do you pick in your dreams?"

   "Brenda," Thomas answered. "But that's because Teresa, um, doesn't make it . . ."

   Minho cocky smirk melted into a look of slight sympathy. "How much longer does she have?"

He sighed. "I don't know. It's hard to tell I think that means it'll be a while. But—"

"Hey, Tom," Teresa said, sliding into the bench next to him. "Minho."

Minho nodded a hello, smiling at Thomas when Teresa moved closer, leaving no space between them.

"What are you guys talking about?" She asked.

"Yeah, heard my name," Brenda said, sitting on the other side of Thomas even closer than Teresa was. "What were you saying, Thomas?"

Thomas shot a pleading look at Minho who looked like he was trying not to laugh.

"Um, nothing," Thomas answered. "We were just—"

"You look like you've been having fun, Tommy," Newt said, sitting across the table, next to Minho.

Thomas shot Newt a glare as he pulled out his phone and took a picture. Brenda laughed, slipping her arm through Thomas'

"Oh, we are," Brenda said with a smile. Then she leaned around Thomas to look at Teresa. "And you are?"

   "Teresa," Teresa answered with a glare cold enough to turn water into ice.

   Brenda frowned slightly. "You aren't Tommy's girlfriend are you?"

   Thomas pulled his arm free. "Um, only Newt can—"

   "No," Teresa interrupted through gritted teeth, still glaring at Brenda. "I'm not."

   Brenda smiled again. "Okay good. Because Thomas here promised to take me on a date."

"Did you now?" Teresa asked, looking at Thomas with a confused look.

Thomas stood up and stepped away from the two girls. "I, um, need to talk to Newt," he quoted. Then, as an addition, "and Minho."

Newt got up and followed but Minho hesitated before sighing and following the two out. The exited the cafeteria and stood just outside the doors.

"Alright," Newt said, leaning up against the wall. "Everything okay, Tommy?"

Thomas ran a hand through his hair. "No."

Minho laughed. "What? Can't decide between the two?"

Thomas glared at him. "No. I already told you, I don't like Teresa that way. Not her or Brenda."

"So just tell them off," Newt offered. "I'm sure they'll understand if you aren't interested."

Thomas shook his head. "I can't. Teresa's going to . . ." He took a shaky breath. "She's going to die soon. I want to make our time as good as possible. But Brenda was a great support too. I don't want to be left alone after everything."

"Look, Tommy," Newt started. "If there's one thing I've learned from your dreams it's to live in the present and base your decisions off of that. Not what your dreams say will happen in the future. Because hard times will come so you might as well enjoy the good ones while they last."

"Speaking of good times," Minho cut in. "We have our race tomorrow. So I say you should forget about those girls and focus on the race. That'll do you some good. Okay?"

"Sure, but—"

"Okay?" Minho pressed, glaring with an anger Thomas hadn't seen before. "Remember, this is for Alby."

   Thomas felt a surge of guilt. He'd been so focused on his girl problem he'd completely forgotten about Alby. "I will. I promise."

   Minho nodded, his face softening. "Good." He walked to the door but turned around before walking through. "If you really want, maybe you should invite them to the race." He flashed his trademark grin. "You might go faster if two pretty girls are watching you run."

Thomas rolled his eyes. "Haha. But maybe I will."

Minho nodded and walked back inside.

   "Don't worry, Tommy," Newt said, pushing himself off the wall. "Whatever happens with Teresa and Brenda, you'll always have Minho and I. We'll be here for you."

   Thomas gave his friend a weak smile.

If only, he thought.