Chapter sixty one

"We can climb up the tree," Newt said, pointing at the large tree right next to Minho's house.

Its trunk had thick branches leading right up to a window on the side of the house.

The only problem was that the branches were far apart, hard to climb up without stretching a lot.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Thomas asked, glancing nervously at the front door.

He was worried one of Minho's parents would see them. He was also worried about falling and breaking his neck.

"I'm sure," Newt said, walking up to the tree. "I used to climb up this all the time."

He started to put his foot up into the first split, but then stopped and frowned. "At least, when I was younger," he added.

The blonde brought his foot back down and stepped back. That's when Thomas remembered he still had a limp.

"You go first, Tommy," Newt told him. "It might take me a while."

Thomas shook his head. "It'd be better if you did. That way if you slip, I can keep you from falling."

"Aren't you my knight in shining armor?" Newt scoffed, stepping forward to climb up again.

Thomas grinned, pleased that he had won the argument before following his friend a moment later.

Climbing the tree didn't take as long as Thomas thought it would.

He suspected that Newt was pushing himself harder than he should, in an effort to go faster.

Thomas couldn't see him struggling in the way he climbed but he could see it in the pain in his friend's face.

He just hoped Newt wouldn't fall after pushing himself so hard. Climbing into the window looked like the hardest part from his angle.

Finally, they reached their destination and sat a few branches away from the window so they could rest.

The branches next to the window were thinner and looked unstable. They would have to fast and strong in order to make it without falling.

Newt moved to a different branch, further from the window.

"You . . ." he gasped. "First . . ." He took a few seconds to breathe before he continued. "I can't climb in with my bum leg. You go first, Tommy. Once you're up, ask Minho if he can come out and help."

Thomas looked at him hesitantly. "Are you sure? Maybe we should just get  you back down."

Newt stared at him blankly.

"Fine," Thomas grumbled. He climbed onto the branches near the windows. "I'm going."

When he was as far out as he could get, he leaned forward and knocked on the window.

Minho came to it a second later. He was scowling but his expression melted into a smile when he realized who it was.

He pulled open the window and leaned out against it. "Well, I've been shucked and gone to heaven," Minho said with a grin. "It's Thomas!"

"And Newt," Thomas added, gesturing to the boy behind him. "Newt said he'll need your help to climb in."

Minho nodded. "Yeah, of course."

He stepped aside to let Thomas in before pulling him into a quick hug. "I will deny if you tell anyone," he warned. "But I missed you, you ugly shank. It's been so boring here."

"Your secret is safe with me," Thomas said, shooting his friend a teasing smirk.

But in reality, he missed Minho as well. His day was so drab without his sarcastic comments and lame jokes.

"If you two are done," Newt called sarcastically, still clinging to his branch. "I would prefer to not stay up here all day."

"Sorry, Newt," Minho said, rushing to the window.

He climbed out and made his way over to Newt faster than Thomas thought possible. A second later, he hoisted Newt onto his back and climbed back inside.

As soon as Minho put his friend down, Newt slumped to the floor.

He leaned against the wall and stretched out his bad leg. He winced as he rubbed his ankle.

Minho crouched in front of him, giving him a concerned look Thomas had never seen before.

"Hey," Minho said gently, rubbing his leg. "How are you feeling?"

"Terrible," Newt admitted. He put a hand on Minho's shoulder and gave him a bright smile. "It's good to see you though."

Minho clapped his friend's hand before standing up.

When he saw Thomas, he scrunched his eyebrows in confusion.

Thomas watched the whole conversation go down with an unfamiliar pain in his heart.

He hadn't told the two about that part of his dreams, since it concerned Newt's death.

But now that it was finally happening . . .

"You alright, Thomas?" Minho asked.

"Yeah," Newt said from the floor, looking equally concerned. "You look pale as a ghost."

Thomas gave them the best smile he could manage. "Sorry. I'm fine. I think I'm just tired from the climb."

But he knew that wasn't true.

After everything he'd been through recently. Brenda, Aris, Jorge, Vince, cranks, The Right Arm, Minho's capture and finally The Right Arm's return.

It had all officially come to an end.

Now, it was time for Phase Three.