Chapter thirty six

"Hey, Thomas," Aris said, peaking his head in the door. "We're sneaking into the school. You in?"

"Um," Thomas looked back at Newt and Minho. He felt like he should stay. They needed to figure out what to do about Winston.

"Just give us a minute," Newt said, "will you?"

Aris nodded. "Sure thing. I'll be downstairs when you're ready." He closed the door.

Thomas sighed. "I think—"

"—you should go," Newt finished.

"But I—"

"—might be right," he interrupted again. "Maybe if you just forget about Winston, he'll be fine."

"Newt," Thomas complained. "Will you just let me—"

"Talk?" Newt smirked. "No."

Thomas glared but kept his mouth shut. Newt's say always ended up being final in any matter.

"I guess that settles it," Minho said, standing up. "Let's go break into the school."

"But you can't come," Thomas pointed out, momentarily forgetting his argument with Newt. "It's just me and Aris."

"In real life is in your dream?"

"In my dream, I guess."

"Then wake up, Thomas. " Minho walked over and smacked his head. "And let's go."

"But I thought your stomach hurt," Thomas tried to reason.

"Shuck it," Minho responded. "I'm tougher than nails. I could still kick your pony-lovin' butt with twice this pain."

Thomas shrugged. "I do love ponies. Though I couldn't eat one right now."

Instead of making fun of Thomas' lack of humor, Newt and Minho actually laughed. Apparently, he was funnier there than in his dreams.

"Well, me neither," Minho admitted. "But I'm fine. And I'm leaving now so, if you aren't downstairs soon, I'll tell Aris you didn't want to come." And with that, he walked out the door.

Thomas shook his head but got up. He was about to follow his friend out the door but he turned around instead. "Are you going to come, Newt?"

Newt shook his head. "I'm going to talk to Winston."

Thomas nodded, then paused, shifting on his feet. "Hey Newt?"

   "Yeah?"

"Am I a boring slinthead?"

Newt smirked and rolled his eyes. "No, Tommy. I guess you're not."

~~~

"Why are we doing this again?" Thomas asked for the hundredth time as they stood in front of the school's locked gate. Minho was the only one who would answer. And his answer was never a good one.

   "Because why not," Minho answered yet again.

   Sonya hit him on the arm before turning to Thomas. "Because it's a tradition, Thomas. We told you, remember? Rachel and Aris did this all the time so we're continuing it for her. Aris just wanted to invite you along." She sighed. "Though I don't know why Minho is here."