Once A Mate, Always A Mate

Murmurs whisper beside me.

I scrunch my face at the bright sun piercing through the curtains beside me. I blink my eyes open, adjusting to the harsh light. I open my eyes to see my mate crouched on the flood beside me, so close I could easily reach out and run my hand down his cheek.

I stop myself as the sight of his piercing violet gaze, they were so full of emotion but I couldn't single out any in particular. I can see Cassian peering over his shoulder, his facial expressionless face set in stone. A shiver ran down my spine at the sight, I had seen that look before, on the battlefield as a slaughtered dozens in his path.

A predator and it's prey.

Rhys tilts his head to the side, in a purely animistic movement. His stare rakes over me and the blanket I am clinging to. His brows furrow as he continues to silently watch me. Quickly, he stands up straight and fixes his jacket. A mask of boredom falls in place over his features, blocking out any emotion. A smug smile spreads across his face as he raised a brow, waiting. I have seen this act before, with his stupid cocky and bored look. A devilish smile tugged at the corners of my lips, two can play at this game.

"You going to stand there, drooling over me all day, or are you going to say something?"

He raised a brow, and his grin widens. I quickly noticed his attire, the sight striking me in the gut like a icy blade. His Illyrian leathers were replaced by his business clothes and gone where his wings, along with his trust. His voice cut me out of my gloomy state.

"Who are you?"

His voice was deeper than normal. This was the voice of the high lord, the voice of the most powerful high lord in history. My mate, my beautiful prick of a mate, is trying to interrogate me like a common criminal. I stared up at him, his eyes. I could see his mask slipping, his eyes weren't bored anymore, or smug, they were filled with a very different emotion, i could see awe. I smiled at that, at the small slice of the Rhys I knew.

I reached down our bond, finding not emptiness but large fortified walls towering over me. I ran a soothing hand down the cold stone, savouring the way it flickered and bent to my touch before it quickly solidified and pushed me away. 

I reached out once more, gently placing my hand flat on the stone.

I am your mate, Rhys.

All I saw was a small glimpse of his shocked expression before Mor charged through the front door followed by Azriel,

"Where is-"

Rhysand silenced her with a low growl before looking back at me, "I know you are my mate. I am asking what your name is."

I spoke as i began sitting up, "My name is Feyre." 

I gestured towards his nonexistent wings, "And don't worry. You can trust me. All of you can trust me." 

My words earned a confused look.

Before I could react, my blanket was ripped away from me, leaving me bare in my wooden leggings and blouse. Rhysand's eyes instantly widened, staring directly down at my stomach.
His face contorted in anger, "WHY IS MY MATE CARRYING ANOTHER MAN'S CHILD!" His voice boomed, shaking the house beneath me.

I sent shadows around my lower torso, covering my stomach and obscuring their view. Kicks erupted from inside me, most likely reacting to its father's voice.

"You have Night Court magic?" Azriel's voice was an emotionless statement rather than a question. A quiet observation. I nodded, daring a glance at my mate who has now regained his composure and annoyingly reset his mask of boredom.