Loose Ends

Dark figures dived down, ripping through the air after me, so fast I could only distinguish two blurred bodies through the tears brimming my eyes. I glanced down and I choked on a scream that clogged my throat as I saw the floor beneath rapidly speeding closer. Illyrian soldiers speckled the grassy earth and Cassian emerged from between then, shooting up into the air, arms outstretched as he flew towards my falling body. My wings beat hard as I fought against the air, failing miserably in my attempts as I plummeted.

A warm arm wrapped around my waist and another softly gripped under my arm, pulling me up. Another set of hands gently hooked under my legs, helping to stabilise as they lifted me.

"It's ok, love. I've got you." a hushed voice whispered into my ear. 

I squeezed my eyes shut as an numb feeling crawled up my body, adrenaline taking the best of me. I tried to remember what I had learned about Fae births but all I could recall was that it hurt and that it was fast. I finally let go of a breath I didn't know I was still holding in as my mates wings began to beat heavily, thrusting gusts of air into my face before gently landing us on the ground.

My teary eyes opened up to my two beautiful mates worried faces looking down at me. Rhys reached out and cupped my cheek with his hand, running the pad of his thumb over my cheekbone.

"You're okay... You're okay..." He whispered soothing words as I steadied my racing heart and uneven breaths, clutching onto his arms in a desperate attempt to calm down. 

Rhys ordered out to Cassian who had just landed beside us. "Cassian, we need to leave. Now. Get the witch. Contraptions will be starting soon." With a nod, Cassian took off.

Just as Rhysand put me on the ground and let me stand, Rhys hooked his arm behind my back. Pulling me closer and holding me firmly against his chest. He turned to face the man beside us, who was silently looking down at my swollen stomach. 

"Rhysand, she will be in immense amount of pain soon, we need to take her to her home." My mate said. 

A hard glare was locked on us as Rhysand realised what was happening, he stepped back and crossed his arms over his chest before shaking his head.

"Her home is here. We have healers, potions, tonics... You name it." He declared, keeping his casual demeanour as he gestured out to the open space around us. 

"She will be perfectly suited to what is to come once I take her to the townhouse. Now if you could just hand her to me," He said as he moved forward in an attempt to hold me. "She will be taken care of."

"No," Rhys snapped, pulling me back from the mans outstretched arms. "We are not doing this again."

"You are not taking my mate away from me," he growled. His hands clenching into fists at his side, ready to fight.

"Please..." I whimpered out. "Please, Rhysand." 

I reached up and tugged at his arm until he lifted it up to me, I lightly pressed his cut knuckles against my cheek. I could see his body slowly relax to my touch, his eyes locked on mine. 

"Let me go home, Rhysand," I begged, leaning my face against his hand. 

"Please. I don't want you to fight anymore. You will see me again, I promise you that." I whispered to him, wincing at the burning sensation in my throat from screaming moment ago.

"You will face some struggles along the way, but in the future you and I will be together. But for that to happen, you need to let me go... because there cant be a future if there is no past." I reached out and cupped his face, smiling softly up at him as I saw the raw emotion swirling behind his eyes, "Now, you have to let me go."