Chapter 1

"You know you're going to have to hit harder than that Arya if you wanna defend yourself." My father teased me. He was the Alpha for the Blood pack. We pride ourselves in knowing that we are considered the most tactical pack in the southern part of Georgia.

"Ya well I'm about three times smaller than you, so any move I make won't make a dent." I went for a punch, but it was quickly blocked by my father Derek La Marsh. Ripping my arm from his grasp, I swung my body, bringing my leg up to hit his stomach. He grabbed it with both hands. I looked at him, frustrated. He's blocked all my punches and kicks since we've been out here. It was probably around ten o'clock am. We left this morning around six am. A small patch of treeless forest surrounded a clearing that was perfect for sparring. I was only sixteen, but according to my father, I need to start learning how to fight and how to think on my feet. Being the runt of the pack and all. Ironic because I was the Alpha's daughter. I started at the age of fourteen. He said that I needed to learn how to fight to defend myself if my mate couldn't. He said that, but I know what the real reason was. It was because I was the smallest. The weakest. The most vulnerable. I wasn't sure if I was ready for a mate yet. I still watched Sponge Bob and stayed up way too late on school night's texting friends. I mean, I even still laughed at fart noises. How mature of me. I can't go from that to becoming someone's mate and into a relationship. I've never even kissed a guy.

"Hit harder, strike faster, move quicker, jump higher." He said to me. His hands still gripping my leg. I knew was going to happen. He twisted my leg, and then threw me in the air. My body twirled rapidly. I came down, hitting the ground with both one foot and hand resting on the ground. My hair was pulled in a tight pony tail. But it was still quite long. The. Lack workout clothes I was wearing were very breathable.

"That's enough for today." He said. I stood, hands resting on my hips. "Go home and get dressed. There is a new pack coming through our territory. We must offer our hospitalizes and an invite for diner." I nod. He started walking ahead. I caught a glimpse of him off guard. I walked up behind him, then dropped to the ground swinging my leg to trip him. It worked. He fell, hitting the ground. I got up triumphantly.

"Rule number one Alpha," I said. Attitude and sass staining my lips. "Don't turn your back on an opponent." I grinned. He chuckled.

"Touché." I dropped a hand, helping him to his feet. He grabbed it, pulling himself to a standing position.

"So I guess there's still hope for you yet." I made a mock hurt faced, playfully slapping his arm.

We walked home talking strategy and that because I'm not as tall as most she-wolfs or as muscular, that I need to use my elbows and knees to try and hit key points against whoever I am fighting.

We reached the large pack house. It was a giant mansion. A huge deck spread out in front of me with a hot tub and pool. I smiled at Mckayla, a she-wolf two years younger than me. Also the closed thing I had to a sister. Or any sibling for that matter.

"How was sparring with Alpha?" Her strawberry blond hair was in a braid down the side of her neck. She had her black boots on, a red, black, white plaid flannel tied around her waist and a Marilyn Monroe muscle shirt on. She was always the hipster/punker type. Her mascara was always done to perfection.

"Did ya take the slap down on the old guy?" I giggled. My dad coughed behind me, clearly out of view from Mckayla.

"Oh...uh... Alpha... I'm sorry -that was - I didn't mean -"Her stuttering made me smile. She bowed her head in respect to my father.

"It's alright Mckayla," He chuckled. "And how many times have I told you to call me Derek? Your father's my Beta. You're my best friends daughter, not my mention my daughter's best friend." He smiled at her. She returned the smile. I grabbed her arm, pulling her into the large kitchen through the open sliding door.