chapter 4

I'm not sure when I had stopped crying, all I know is, it was sweet, sweet relief. All I know for sure is... I've never felt more at peace then sleeping alongside James.

. . .

It had been one week since I had exploded at my father, accusing him of thinking less of me. He hadn't denied a single thing of course. I ignored him, throughout every possible encounter we could have had. My mother, being her strong self, always made an effort to settle the battle between us. Avoiding your father is harder than it looks, especially when he tries to talk to you every chance he gets.

In a matter of minutes, we would be heading off to Alabama. Back to James' pack. Back to his home. My home now.

I stood, in dark blue jean short shorts, a loose see through blue and white stripped three finger width tank top, and my four pink suite cases holding all my belongings in front of James silver Jeep Dakota. You could see my black bra through my shirt, but I didn't care. My black strappy gladiator sandals squeaked as I took the last few steps off the edge of our porch. James walked over to me. Smiling with pride. His pearly teeth, strong jaw, calming eyes made each step to leave home that much easier.

"All ready?" James asked. Giving him my most comfortable smile, I squealed. His strong, welcoming hands grabbed my torso, picking me up off the last porch step. Shrieking with delight, I pressed my hands to his shoulders. He helped me off the last step. I could get used to this.
James, being a gentleman, opened the passenger door for me. My foot just touched the inside before my mother's voice stopped me.

"Arya!" My head snapped to her. She ran after me. A baby blue box with a white ribbon was on her hand. "Here." She handed me the box. James cleared his throat, leaving us in silence.

"Mom you didn't have to." My lips split giving her a sincere smile.

"I didn't." She handed me the box. If my mother didn't.

My father did. "Oh." She scurried away, skipping up the steps inside. I popped the top half off.

Gasp. A small charm bracelet with a single silver wolf charm hug from the gold chain. A white note was folded under the charm.

"Arya,

I'm sorry for the past week. It was not something that I wanted. I have never thought any less of you. This silver wolf is a sign of danger, cunning, and bravery. All the traits that you possess. All the traits that explode from your personality.

I love you, forever and always.

Daddy."

Hot tears threatened to spill over. "Ready." James jumped into the car, starting the engine. It roared to life rumbling under my feet. He started to drive off, but my yelling stop him. I jumped out from the car, racing inside.

"DAD!" No answer. "DADDY!" heavy footsteps thundered from upstairs. My father appeared. He looked panicked. His eyes turning black, ready for any threat that could be near.

"What? Are you ok?" His hands roamed my arms and legs searching for any signs of cuts or bruises. His worried expression cutting deep into my gut making me feel even guiltier than before.

"I'm sorry." My voice stammered. "I'm sorry." Both my arms uncontrollably wrapped themselves around my dad's body. "I'm so, so, so sorry." I sobbed into his shoulder. My breaths coming in and out so fast my throat dried in seconds. It felt like the Sahara desert. Cotton balls formed in my moth on either side of my tongue. I started stuttering my apologies. Saying "I'm sorry" over and over again, trying to make the pain stop. I felt like such a spoiled brat, a little girl who didn't appreciate a good father when she knew she had one. A good father that made you feel better after every night you're sick, after every scrape and bruise, after every fight, every nightmare, every time I thought that I wasn't good enough. He was there. I wanted him more than my mother. I was the cliché daddy's. The one time where I wanted him to praise me, tell me something that I wanted to hear, he didn't and I caved. I threw it all in his face. "It's alright baby. Just breathe." His arms tightened around me, bringing me closer to him. My wolf praised this feeling on home and love. Leaving now would be easier. Knowing that my dad and I aren't fighting; that he knows I'm sorry. "I love you sweetheart. So, so much." He whispered. Only loud enough so that I could hear him. My hold on his midsection tightened so much that it hurt me. Breathing him in one last time before I left was all I could do not to start balling my eyes out. Backing away from him, his hand cupped my cheek; his thumb wiping away the last teat that slipped through.

"There, no more tears." His lips touched my forehead as one last goodbye. "I love you daddy." I stood on my tiptoes kissing him cheek. "Goodbye baby. I love you too. So much." His hand squeezed mine.

One last goodbye.