chapter 5

We rode the rest of the way to Alabama through back roads and forestry. Not a single word escaped either of us. I was grateful. I don't think I could handle talking about what went on inside. Rehashing what happened between my father and I, was not something wanted to dig into. Even though he was there. James' hand grabbed mine, squeezing it gingerly. My head shifted to his. His simple smile calmed all my nerves. I had met some of James' pack, but meeting everyone was really intimidating. What if I make a fool of myself? What if not one likes me? What if no one trusts me? I could feel the accelerated beat of my heart, bashing my ribs. My mind racing with ideas that I was going to destroy or screw up the Silas pack. James didn't seem to notice which is odd because we were holding hands and we're mates. Either he knows and he's not gonna do anything, or James really doesn't know that I'm scared half to death. The Jeep started to bump around as James turned right onto a gravel path. Pine, oak and cedar trees dotted the side road. The forest around us was so vast. Fallen branches scattered the grounds. Wild flowers of all colors dotted the grassy plains. A blur of black, brown, grey and white flashed across my eyes. My hand ripped from James' grasp. Both touching the window as if pushing my face and hands against the cool glass would give me a better view.

"What was that?" I asked. Curiosity picking at my senses. A low chuckle made me shiver.

"That would be some of your pack... Luna." Luna. The way it rolled off his tongue made my knees go weak. An involuntary smile sliced my lips in half. I grinned ear to ear.

"Luna." My whisper tickled my lips. I don't think that I would be able to get used being called that. I was so concentrated on what I saw, that I hadn't realized we'd already pulled up to the house. The engine cut out pulling me from my interest induced coma. My gazed returned the front wind shield of the car. I gasped. A white house that looked like that key chain version of the White House stood before me. White pillars lined the front of the house with a large black door. Windows were scattered everywhere you looked. Black, red and brown curtains covered anything on the inside of the windows. A guy came running out. His black hair was so dark. His eyes electric blue. He was so muscular. A grey t-shirt clung to his body shape. Beige shorts, knee length, with black vans made his tanned skin even darker. I stayed glued in the Jeep, but James had jumped out. He ran to the guy giving him a friendly hug. They laughed as a young blond came skipping out. Her skin as pale as snow, her eyes a bright green. I don't think I've ever seen such honey colored blonde hair. It was long, curly. She was tall for a she-wolf, her legs were very muscular especially her thighs. White lacy shorts with a light cream, pink colored shirt. It had cut off sleeves just after her elbows and was loose around her neck line. It hung low with a gold necklace. Rusty brown cowboy boots topped off her entire outfit. Her smile was bright, inviting and warming. I timidly stepped out from the Jeep. The conversation that was going on stopped right away as the door closed with a bang! My body was ridged and tight. All six eyes were fixed on me. My bottom lip was pulled into my mouth. I started chewing on it, unsure of what else to do. Looking around, I saw a large field behind the house. Three boys and one girl were all playing basketball out on a fancy court. All three guys were shirtless; the girl was on a sports bra. Her hair was in a high pony tail, ending at the back of her neck. James' feet crunching the gravel below caught my attention.

"Arya come here." His arm came out gesturing me over. I complied with his request. His arm snaked around my waist pulling my hip to his. Sparks erupted through every part of my being. My body warming to his embrace.

"This is Kenton," His hand was pointed to the black haired boy. "My brother, and his mate," The blond haired beauty. "Michelle." Michelle came right up to me. She was at least two and half inches taller than I. She hugged me. An over whelming of at homeness came over me.

"Hi," Her voice was musical. "I'll help you with your bags." She walked over to the car, her hips swaying dramatically. It didn't look cheap or forced. It looked natural, but dramatic. James followed her, leaving the space his arm had been, cold. Kenton stepped towards me, an unnerving gleam in his eyes.