chapter 12

We ate our sandwiches. I taught Estrella some words in English. Just simple ones like 'hello', 'thank you', 'you're welcome', 'please'. She taught me the same words, but all in Spanish. Adrianna came in later and had a small conversation with her. Estrella said some small things, nothing to big, just one word answers. Adrianna asked about her past. But Estrella didn't answer. That was a secret that she wanted kept quiet.

Adrianna grabbed a glass of cold water, she asked, "Entonces, cuál es tu color favorite?" What's your favourite colour? Estrella hesitated, looking outside. The sun was shining through the clouds. Its golden rays casting light on everything inside the house. Putting her sandwich down, Estrella went to the sliding glass door, looking out to the forest around the house. Her attention was focused on the green that seemed to engulf the territory around the house.

"Amarillo." Yellow, she said. I smiled. So was mine. Yellow and blue. They're both happy colours.

Talking, laughter, and running shoes echoed in the hall by the stairs. Estrella's fascination was interrupted by members of the pack walking to the kitchen. Most of them were males with no shirts on. Billy was with them, she wore a black sports bra with white basketball shorts and shoes. Most of the guys had basketball shorts and shoes on. All were as sweaty and smelled.

They all stopped at the sight of all three of us. I had just taken a bit of my sandwich when they had walked in. Picture Estrella looking like a cornered mouse. Me in mid chewing motion, Adrianna just casually drinking her water. I put my sandwich down, motioning to Estrella to come over to me, she did. Adrianna gave a harsh stare.

"Uh... ok guys lets go out for lunch..." Billy suggested, pushing everyone out from the kitchen. I shot her a mental hug, smiling thankfully as they left.

I mouthed 'thank you'. She smiled happily.

. . .

Two days had passed since Estrella has been with us. I showed her more of the house, she was teaching me more Spanish. I hadn't asked to any questions yet for fear that she'd shut down, clam up and not talk about anything. It seemed that Adrianna, Michelle and I were the only people she trusted. If you call what she did with us trust. Any male that tried getting close to her, even if it was just in the same room physically, she freaked out, or come and hide behind one of us. Michelle had agreed to stay with her for the night in the pool house. I didn't even know we had a pool house until she mentioned it. We all agreed that rotating nights was good. Both Adrianna and Michelle were older than I was and were 'of age' to do whatever they wanted sexually with they're and for Michelle, she told me that she and Kenton were trying to have a baby. I gave her my best wishes and for Adrianna, staying pregnant without her Mate Josh wouldn't be comfortable. When a she-wolf is pregnant the bond between her and Josh would be about ten times as strong. So it just made sense to rotate shifts.

I was exhausted. All this trying to be her friend, getting her to trust me, open up about her past and what brought her to this part of the states was difficult. I wanted my mates help with this. We were a team and I his help, his opinion. I walked back into our room, hands massaging my neck. The couch looked like heaven right now. I didn't regret putting effort into the small forming relationship between us. I wanted her to feel welcome. I was falling onto the bed, but a hand grabbed my hips, letting me fall about half way. I hadn't touched the bed, but my arms were just falling, hanging from their sockets like noodles. My hair fell down tickling my face.

"Tired babe." James asked. His scent met my nose welcomingly. All I could do was make a weird grunting noise. James pulled me around, picking me up. One arm under my legs, the other around my back. "Thank you." I mumbled into his shirt. He chuckled. The sound vibrating the check that was pancaked to his chest. He set me down on the bed, hands roaming all over my stomach.