Chapter 21

I opened my eyes to darkness, I managed to pull one of my arms out of the mass of limbs that was Harry and grabbed my phone. I pushed the home button and the screen lit up the time 3:23, we had slept the entire day and night away and I was absolutely starving.

"Harryyyy let me out" I grumbled pushing away anything making contact with my skin.

"Hmmm what" he sleepily mumbled rolling over and allowing me to quietly exit the bed.

My quiet exit quickly ended when I tripped over his ginormous shoes and landed face down on the hardwood floor.

"Mel, did you die" he called from the bed.

I didn't have time to answer before he clicked on the bedside lamp and blinded me.

"You really oughta warn someone before you turn on the sun" I screeched and covering my eyes, "I'm fine I just fell over your insanely large shoes and almost died, go back to sleep and turn the damn lamp off."

He was biting his lip and trying really hard not to laugh at me in a pile on the floor in nothing but a large t shirt and messy hair.

"Yes dear" he finally said and flipped the lamp off and snuggled back underneath the covers, "hurry back though, it's lonely in this big bed with out you!"

I smiled at the thought of someone missing me as I padded down the stairs. I pulled the pantry open but the thought hit me that I hadn't been home in three months. Surprisingly there was a full load of groceries filling the shelves, my mum was the actual best. I grabbed a bag of Doritos, some fruit snacks, and a banana before plopping down on the floor. I savored every bite, I hadn't realized how hungry I was but I guess that's what happens when you don't eat all day.

My inner fat girl was silenced when a constant buzzing erupted on the counter, I stood up from my feast and made my way to it, it was Harry's phone with Gemma's name and about 30 messages on the screen.

I swiped right and the screen unlocked, not even a pass code, he was so trusting of people it was almost unbelievable. I scrolled to the bottom of the screen and the words made my heart drop.

"Mum's not well Haz, the cancer is getting worse. I'm going to London, call me ASAP."

I pounded up the stairs and flipped the flourescent lights on as I entered the room.

"What the actual fu-"

"Your phone it was, just read it" I said quickly as I handed it to him.

He scrolled through the messages and I watched his face go from confusion to realization to scared in the span of a minute or two.

"I have to get a train Mel, I have to go to London, now" he said as he stumbled out of the bed and tugged on his ripped black jeans.

"I-uh, okay I get it, let me know when you make it there?"

"You're coming with me aren't you" he asked stopping in the middle of shoving his arm through a shirt sleeve.

"I...you want me to come with you?" I was honestly taken aback that he wanted me to come but his mom was sick, I couldn't say no.

"Give me a few minutes to gather a bag, yeah?"

"Thank you" he said as he took a giant step across the floor and pressed his lips to my forehead.

I nodded and gave a polite smile before disappearing into my closet to grab a duffel bag and start stuffing it with any and everything. Twenty minutes later we were in a cab and on our way to the train station.

"Why didn't you tell me she was sick" I whispered quietly into his chest as we cuddled in the back seat.

"I didn't want it to be real" he said calmly as he played with the ends of my hair.

I wrapped my arm around his stomach and squeezed as tight as I could as he fell apart in my arms, for the first time I had to be there for someone else and I wasn't sure exactly how to do it.