Chapter 26

I slid into the booth at the back of Bistro Noir, I hadn't been here since I graduated uni but it used to be my favorite place.

"Mel, what's going on with you? You look like you've seen a ghost and Heaven at the same time," Els asked gripping my shoulder and rubbing her thumb back and forth.

Two glasses of wine and quite a few tears later I had recapped the last few days with Harry, telling the two people that I knew would never judge me any and every thought that was rushing through my head.

"I love him, I really do, but it just got so real so quickly, ya know? It wasn't that long ago we weren't even speaking to each other and now I've witnessed his mum die and held him while he fell apart, I just don't know what to think or say about all of this but I don't wanna mess anything up" I sighed before downing the last mouthful of chardonnay left in my glass.

I had said everything there was to say. I love Harry. I want him. I am terrified. I was completely and utterly lost in my feelings and the twisted web of life.

"I think you just have to muddle through, don't give up yet. And don't you dare go overthinking Melody, he cares about you or this would have ended a long time ago. He needs someone and he wants you there. You did it for me when Nicholas left me and when Elsa's brother commited suicide, you can be that person. I know you haven't been since before...but you can do it again."

Kate was always the queen of wisdom and she was right. I had done this before and I had helped other through their issues and helped them come out better for it. It had been a while but it was time to dust myself off and try it again, try it for Harry because I loved him.

I smiled and grabbed both of their hands across the table as my phone started humming on the table, lighting up with a goofie selfie Harry had taken on my phone ages ago.

"It's time Mel, go be the princess in shining armor," Elsa smiled picking my phone off the table and placing it in my hand.

"Hi dear," I quietly said into the device.

"You about ready love? I've just got a cab, I can have it come pick you up and then take us both to your flat, but i-"

"I'm ready, I'm at Bistro Noir down by the pier, I'll wait outside for you."

"That's not far, I should be there soon. I love you," he said quietly and I could hear the smile in voice and the twinkle in his eye.

"I love you too," I breathed before hanging up.

We paid our bill and shared a long embrace before Kate and Elsa grabbed their own cab and I waited on Harry to appear with ours and it wasn't long before he did.

I pulled the door open and before I couldn't even step forward to enter the backseat before Harry emerged from the car, his large boots clunking on the cold sidewalk, and he produced a single rose from behind his back.

"Harold, what are you doing" I giggled covering my mouth with my hand.

"Just giving a little light to your week on a city sidewalk for everyone to see, I hear proper girls like that kind of thing" he smirked handing me the rose with one hand and grabbing my free one with his other hand bringing it to his lips, placing a light kiss on my knuckles.

"Thank you" I said shyly, feeling the color rush to my cheeks.

He raised his free hand towards the open door. "Your carriage awaits my lady" he chuckled.

"Oh my prince, you shouldn't have."

The cab driver looked back at us with a nod as we shut the door, he was trying to be annoyed but I could see in his eye that he found it endearing, as did I.

We rode in silence as usual, our hands tangled together like ivy on a brick wall. I felt his heavy head lean down on top of mine and his chest gave a little shake.

"Harry, what's wrong" I whispered tightening my grip on his hand.

"They're not all sad tears, most of them are happy tears. I just can't seem to hold myself together, but we can discuss it later, we're almost home" he said before pressing his lips into my hair.

I helped him bring his couple of bags from the cab into my flat and then we climbed upstairs to settle in for the night.

"Are you okay, love" I asked cuddling into his chest, drawing shapes on his chest.

"I miss her terribly and I'm sad that you didn't get to know her, she would have adored you so much. I am also so very happy that I have you, a lot of girls would have ran the other direction. There are just so many emotions in my body right now and I don't want to mess anything up but I know I have to deal with all of it at some point" he said quietly, his voice cracking at the mention of his mum.

I pushed all of my weight onto my elbow so I could sit up and look into those gorgeous green eyes. "I just told the girls the same thing. They said to just muddle through, don't work too hard, let things flow, we love each other and because of that we will both work to help each other without even noticing it. I think we should trust them on this one."

"They are quite smart for girls that date Ed and Niall" he laughed shaking his head. "But they are right, we're gonna make it through I just know it."

"I'm glad you think so Mr. Styles," I smiled pressing my lips to his and letting him deepen the kiss, his fingers threading into my hair.

"We have to get up early, not now, but soon, I promise" I said breaking the connection and leaning my forehead to his, letting our noses touch.

"I'd wait forever for you Mel."