1

"Food. Food. Gotta find some food." A blonde wolf mumbled to herself, crouching low and keeping her nose to the ground. This particular wolf was a rogue - a singular being that didn't belong to a pack and her name was Skye.

After luckily finding a small squirrel as the only means of food, the magenta eyed canine stopped at a creek, lowering her head to lap up some clear, cool water. Unbeknownst to her, a pair of amber eyes were watching her from a nearby shrub...

A tan and brown wolf that could easily be mistaken for a domestic dog tapped his paws impatiently as he watched the female drink. The blonde wolf stepped back and stretched herself. Suddenly, another wolf, a strong male, jumped on her. The black creature bared his teeth and snarled as he pinned Skye to the floor, turning her so her stomach was flat to the floor. Without thinking, the wolf in the shrubs jumped forward and knocked the black animal off, baring his teeth and sending him slinking away. He turned to see Skye, now standing and slightly shaken.
"You Okay?" He asked, taking a cautious few steps towards the female.
"Yeah, yeah I think so. Thanks um...?"
"Chase. Alpha of the Moonstone pack." He nodded, standing tall.
"Skye, kappa of the Haythorn pack." Skye bowed her head as a sign of respect, typical behaviour when talking to those with a higher status.
"Haythorn? I thought that pack was killed."
"Indeed they were but, my mother and I were in hiding. She passed last winter, leaving me."
Chase looked at the slightly smaller wolf as she looked down, upset from the memory of her old life. He looked around at the neutral territory that surrounded them.
"Come on." He nodded, nudging her shoulder gently.
"Where are we going?" Skye asked cautiously. She'd had plenty of bad experiences with males from other packs.
"To my territory. You'll be safe there." Chase looked over his shoulder. Skye hesitated for a moment, weighing up the pros and cons of the matter. She happened to catch glance of a single poppy, her mother's favourite flower. In the wind, the flower seemed to nod almost like a sign of approval. Skye smiled at the crimson petals and turned back to the alpha.
"Okay."

The two made the long journey back to the Moonstone territory, Chase telling Skye all about the Betas; Marshall and his mate, Everest, the best hunters; Rubble, Zuma and Zuma's mate Rocky. Then the wolf that his father wanted to be the Luna, Sweetie.
"So what's she like? This Sweetie?" Skye asked as Chase led the way.
"Oh well she's beautiful, pure white fur, bright yellow eyes. A lot of the males have their eyes on her."
"That doesn't answer my question." Skye chuckled.
"Huh?"
"Oh alpha." Skye shook her head. "I mean why do you love her? What makes her different? What makes her special?"
"My my my Kappa, you seem very interested in the pack."
"Well it makes sense for me to know more than what different members look like."
"Well...I, I don't really know why I like her. My father pretty much taught me to. I mean I really really do care about her."
"It's ok. I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked it's not really my place." Skye sighed, looking out over the horizon. "Being alone for so long means you tend to ramble a lot."
"It's fine, I completely understand." Chase hopped down over a few rocks and stopped square looking ahead with a nonchalant smile.
"Kappa, welcome to the pack."
Skye joined the taller wolf and looked at the territory, seeing the many caves, lakes, creeks and plenty of other wolves. The mountains far off in the distance blackened against the pink and orange of the sunset.
"Wow. It's beautiful."
"Isn't it just?" Chase looked down. "Come on, I'll take you to my father, he'll be in his cave." The pair of young wolves took off running to find Chase's father.

Little did they know, an elder of the pack was nearby, watching closely. He stared after the pair and spoke to himself.
"There are many things that will catch your eye. But only one will catch your heart."