6

"Chase!" Everest yelled, running like a coyote to catch up to him. When the alpha came into view, he wasn't alone. He was with Sweetie and his father.
"Oh great." Skye groaned, chasing after her friend as fast as she could.
"Ev! Now is not the time." Marshall said, speeding past the blonde wolf.
"Huh?" Chase looked up from the white female at his side. Sweetie growled as she saw Skye approach.
"Chase. Big news. Skye will tell you." Everest barked excitedly.
"Ev! Let Skye say in her own time." Marshall hissed.
"Let Skye say what?" Chase's father asked. Skye slowly stepped forward, bowing low as customary.
"Okay what do you want?" Sweetie demanded.
"Sweetie." Chase warned. "What is it?" He turned to Skye, gazing at her softly.
"Well....you see..."
"Hurry it up already!" Sweetie snarled. By now half the pack was watching the spectacle, curious as to what was happening.
"Chase, I'm pregnant." Skye whispered. Chase's eyes widened and Sweetie laughed.
"And why is that our problem. You're the one who trusted someone you shouldn't have." With that she dragged Chase away. He looked apologetic but followed her. Tears leaked down Skye's face.
"Chase they're yours!" She yelled. Everyone froze as Chase and Sweetie turned around. "I promise you they're yours." Skye cried. While Sweetie watched in horror, Chase sprinted towards Skye and embraced her tightly. The male licked at her neck as she wept into his shoulder. Chase stepped back and looked in her magenta eyes.
"I promise you that I will be the best father I can be." He whispered.
"I love you."
"I love you too." He leaned closer and whispered gently in her ear, "My Luna." The entire pack howled happily, some jumped up and down, some danced in joyous circles but everyone was overjoyed. Well, almost everyone. Sweetie jumped at Skye and bared her teeth.
"You bitch! You stole the sandstone from me!" She growled.
"Hey!" Everest got between them seeing as the males weren't allowed to harm females in the pack. "Chase and Skye are in love. If all that mattered to you was the stone and position, you never deserved it in the first place." Just as the white wolf was about to jump, Chase's father pushed Everest and Skye out of the way. Before he could move, Sweetie sunk her dagger sharp teeth into his neck, making the older wolf weak and fall to the ground. The hate filled female stood back as Chase, Skye, Marshall and Everest ran forward.
"Dad!" Chase cried.
"It's okay Chase. I'm not mad, I was a fool to try and force you to love someone but I'm glad you found someone who loves you and that you love too." The older wolf smiled weakly.
"Why did you push me out of the way?" Everest asked, a tear falling down her cheek.
"Wolf code: protect your pack. And Skye," the new Luna stepped forward. "I believe that this belongs to you." She bowed her head as a sandstone secured to a cord was hung around her neck, finalising her status.
"Thank you." She said quietly.
"Dad we can still help you." Chase pleaded desperately.
"No. This is how it was meant to be son. You look after the pack, your mate, and your pups." The wolfs eyes started to close. "I believe...in... you." He gave his last breath and fell limp.
"Dad? Dad!" Chase cried like a young pup, Skye coming to comfort him as she understood his pain. Everyone howled in mourning and turned to glare at Sweetie waiting for her to be banished, but she was already gone.