S•I•X

Sunshine had slithered its way into our room and made its home on my face, provoking me to wake up and start the beginning of the day.

Everly was still fast asleep, oblivious to the natural intruder. Luckily, I was able to slip out the room and two doors down to the vacant shower to use before she did.
I was thrilled the official first day of college was here.

Yesterday was just a 'free day' that we all enjoyed, especially on full stomachs.
Last night the three of us went by the cafeteria and picked out our meal which was undeniably delicious, nothing compared to high school.

After dinner we strolled around on campus, finding where our morning classes would be so we would not have to be as lost in the morning.
The shower stopped and I stepped out, wrapping a fluffy blue towel around me.

When I got back to my room, Everly was already up and pulling on an outfit for the day.
It was a mid thigh plaid skirt with a plain white shirt and flats.

"Cute outfit," I compliment.

Her timid smile shows up once again as she thanked me and continued applying her makeup.

After slipping on underwear, I let the towel fall to the floor while I fumble with getting my bra on.

"Eeekkkkk!!!!" Everly shrieks behind me.

Nearly jumping out of my skin, I turn quickly to find out the source of her shocked state when I see she has a pale palm covering her eyes.

"Everly, what are you doing?"

Her hand doesn't falter once as she speaks.

"You're n-naked," her small voice replies.

Incredulously, I ask her what's the problem about it.

"It's because- well you have to-," she sighs.

"I've never seen anyone naked or half naked before."

I want to laugh and ask if she's serious, but by the way she's slightly trembling and is covering her eye, I knows she's telling the truth.

"Okay, well, here," I grab my quaint yellow dress and shove my arms through the top.

"I'm all dressed," I say proudly.

Only after I assure her three times does she believe me and uncage her eyes.
A relieved look graces her features before morphing into a smile.

"Thanks for..... doing that. I'm not that type of person," she shrugs indifferently.

"What do you mean? I'm not gay!" I say incredulously.

"No no! That's not what I'm saying.
What I mean is that I'm not the outgoing type. The one who's not scared of anything, the one that purposely stands out or fights for what she believes in.

I'm just the girl that tries to blend into the crowds as much as possible," she quickly explains herself.

"But where's the fun in that?" I continue to ask her while applying my makeup.

"It may not be fun, but it's safe," she shrugs.

I hum in understanding, not wanting to dwell any further on the subject.
What I really want to do is find out more about her, so I ask.

"So, how's your family? Do you live with your parents?"

Her delicate face falls a bit before answering.

"They both died when I was ten. I live with my grandparents," she says softly.

Crap.

I wandered on shaky territory which will no doubt make her not want to talk anymore.
My thoughts are only confirmed when she turns away from me to continue preparing for her first class of the day.

"I-I'm sorry, Everly. I didn't know your parents weren't alive," I say sorrowfully.

Even though it must hurt deeply to not have a mother and father, she still faces me once more and musters up a smile.

It was small and shy, but it was genuine and heartfelt.
Dang this girl was strong.

"You couldn't have known silly. It's fine, believe me."

I did believe her, the ginger young woman stood before me in all her introverted glory.
She was more tenacious than she let on.

So in complacent silence we continue to doll up and head out for our first class as college freshman.

***

My first class was fine arts and I was more eager to attend than a thirsty canine nearing a puddle of water.

Everly and I had split at the first door inside the building because she had a law class this morning.
She was a bit frantic about attending by her lonesome but after some coaxing and encouraging words, she was ready to take on the day.

We even swapped numbers just in case something drastic happened and she needed me.

The fine arts class was rather large, with a theatre type stage at the front of the room.
One solitary spotlight shone on the hardwood floor as students filed in and sat in chairs scattered about the room.

My fingers kept twiddling themselves over and over and I couldn't help how heated I suddenly got.
It was probably because of the added bodies in the room that I was beginning to feel faint.

I unscrew my cap off the Dasani water bottle and find relief in the soothing lake that rushes down my throat.

Just as I was about to set my bottle down, a voice speaks from in front of me.

"Mind if I sit here?"

I lift my head to see the blonde haired girl from the courtyard.
Flora greets me as I nod my head in approval.

"I didn't know you were into theatre," she whispers to me.

"Me either; I just like the way it makes me feel when I'm on stage in front of large bodies of people," I tell her truthfully.

"Well, you'll do great in this class then. I heard that there's a show coming up soon so you should sign up."

"Okay, yeah. Maybe I will," I smile at her just as a short haired lady walks into the spotlight.

The silent whispers immediately diminish as she peers at each of us with cold, intense eyes.
It felt as if she was seeing right through to our very souls and assessing us one by one.

No one dared to utter a sound, but continued to return her gaze.

Just when I thought her eyes were going to pierce even deeper, she bursts into laughter.
Doubling over and clutching her stomach laughter.

Everyone just looks to each other, very confused.

"That, my friend, is your first lesson in theatre," she pauses to wipe a stray tear from her eye.

"Never judge a book by its cover."

Everyone looked relieved that she wasn't actually as menacing as she was portraying to be and lightened up as she began speaking about the importance of facial features in the theatre.

I could already tell that this class was going to be amongst my favorites.