T•W•E•N•T•Y•T•H•R•E•E

Kennedy

Distraction comes in the form of a solitary robin. Her dark, sanguine wings taking her this way and that, as she searches for twigs to build her nest. The sun seemed even brighter today with the lack of clouds, but it did nothing to erase the worries floating through my mind.

After the incident, Ben and I made our way back to school Sunday afternoon. The whole ride he was clenching the steering wheel, off in his own world where he could control the outcome of everything.
He told me not to worry, that his Dad would have everything under control and that they'll find out who did this.

I didn't doubt that either. Mr. Clarke held the title of head security for a reason. I'd learnt that he spent his earlier years in the army, up until he was in his late twenties. He left because he fell in love with an amazing Spanish woman, and started a family shortly after. He would tell Ben and I stories about his time spent in Pakistan and similar places, defending our country and taking out terrorists.
The man was highly skilled in what he did.

Nevertheless, I still fretted. If Mr.Clarke was anything like his son, he would dedicate day and night to finding this person and I feared it would take a toll on him. Those Clarke men were so persistent that it was a blessing as well as a curse.
To put my mind at ease some, I texted Dad to keep an eye on him, not like he wasn't going to anyway.

The shrill sound of a bell breaks me from my thoughts as my peers pack their stuff and leave class. None of the girls and I shared a class today. At least when they were there I tried to do a better job at paying attention.

Oh well.

I was too happy to be done with classes for the day. Ben and I were going to catch a movie at one of the nearby theaters before his night class. They were showing an old animation film that I begged him to come see with me. Classics were obviously not his favorite but that's alright. I always got him to agree.

As I trekked through the bustling quad, hiding my face some, I hoped that no one would bother me today. For as long as I've been alive, the whole 'fame' aspect of everything never got old. I mean, I know who I am and who my family is, but it has become more than tiring having people run up to you and ask for pictures or autographs.

My publicist would tell me that that's just part of this life. And she was right. Still, I always wished I didn't have to deal with that part of everything.

"Kennedy!" Someone shouted my name a couple steps away, resulting in the people around me to find me out.

When they did, they began to point and pull their phones out, at the ready to record or ask for a picture. Thankfully, a blur of orange zips by, pulling me along with it.
It took a great deal of effort but we made it through the crowd.

My savior finally let his hood down, displaying his burnt sienna tresses fully. Tobias stood there, wearing a Nike tracksuit and sneakers, with an AirPod in his ear. He licks his lips before addressing me.

"Sorry about that," he nods his head to where we had just left, "I forgot how crazy people were."

I blush a little. "It's okay. Thanks for helping me out."

We make small talk for a bit as he walks with me over to the guys dorm. He told me all about his fraternity's charity event coming up next week.
It was an annual event that a lot of people liked to take part in and they did need as much help as they could get.

"So if you're not doing anything then, you should swing by." He holds the door open for me, flashing me a white toothed smile as I go by.

We come to the elevators and I press the third floor button. "Yeah I'll see if I can." The elevator doors open and I scoot inside. "Thanks for walking me over."

The doors began to close slowly as he responds. "Don't mention it."

The last thing I caught was his wink.

                               ***
Ben and I sat on his couch, our legs tangled together on the coffee table. We settled on an old 90's show to watch, and I know he'd never admit it, but he was just as invested in the movie as I was. He went all out with snacks too. There were gummy worms and soda pop, popcorn and chips. Even a lone jar of Nutella because he knew it was my favorite.

"How come in every movie the girl always falls for the wrong guy," he says through a mouth full of popcorn.
"Could she not tell he wasn't good for her?"

I roll my eyes. "Ben, you have to realize that sometimes, they don't see it. Those feelings she has for him are from a place that just wants to love someone. And even though the first guy's a jerk, she can't see because she's let her emotions blind her from reality."

He's quiet and thoughtful for a moment. The lines on his forehead stand out. I took the time to notice his new haircut that left his curls free on top of his head, with a nice shape up all around. As he catches me watching him, he smiles, showing off those dimples.

"Well then, sounds like a typical chick-flick," he chuckles, moving to pop more corn.

As the movie continues, we chat a bit, catching up on things. "Did I tell you about my show coming up? I'll get you guys some tickets."

Our first performance for drama class was almost here and I wanted him and the girls to be there.

"Mm, I remember. Saw a poster about it." He throws a gummy worm at me. "Are you the lead?"

I groan. "I hope! But we all have to audition for the part we want and I'm not sure I want all those judgy eyes on me."

"Please," he scoffs, "you'll do better than all of them. I've seen your work." I giggle at his words but I know he's serious. Ever since we were kids I'd set up pretend concerts in the backyard that only he and I would attend. One time we even got our parents to come out and watch; it was great.

"Let's just hope so," I agree. "I don't want you guys to come and I'm a tree or something! I mean come on, who comes to see that." We laugh for a good while, clutching our stomachs and throwing worms at each other.

"Besides, I wouldn't want Tobias to see me like that." The chuckles cease.

He scrunches his brows together before asking, "Who's Tobias?"

As my bodyguard it was his right to know about anyone I spent time with or talked to, so now was as good a time as any to let him know.

"Oh, this guy I met at the frat party that night. I think he's the captain or something? I don't know."

Ben's mood visibly changes. He stops chucking his worms and turns toward the tv again. There was a lengthy silence before he says anything.

"You should stay away from him. I hear he's bad news."

I cross my arms. "Come on! He's my friend and I think you should give him a chance."

Knowing the stubborn man that he was, that would be next to impossible. "No thanks, I'm good."

And that was the end of our conversation. I knew he probably had a bone to pick with Tobias, but it had nothing to do with me. I was positive that he was a good guy; extremely positive.

Besides, what damage could a sweet boy like him ever do?