S•I•X•T•E•E•N

Mikayla

"Come on ladies finish this last game strong!"

I couldn't help clenching my teeth as I hear Coach screaming at us from the sidelines. We were tied with Belmont 25-25 with less than a minute to score. As much as I hate to admit, these girls were strong and really put up a fight.

I signal to Samantha as she kicks the ball to me. Dodging around several of the opposing team members, I try to make it as close to the goal as possible before I fake a shot. Luckily, the two who were supposed to be guarding me fell for it and that is when I quickly kick to Lisa who takes the shot immediately.

The crowd erupts into cheers as we brought home the eleventh win of the season. The girls were celebrating too with slaps on the backs after we went to shake hands.
Several of the girl's boyfriends made their way on the field to scoop them into their arms. Everyone had someone to share this moment with, everyone but me.

"Alright ladies, locker room, now!"

Audible groans made their way across the field as our high had come to a halt. No matter how good we thought we were or how much we improved on a pass, Coach Julie always had a rebuttal.

"You all looked dead out there, dead! How in the world was the game that close? We should have beaten them by a long shot and you all know it," she growls at us.
The room was silent as we continue to listen to her critiques.

"Sam, good passing, loved your footwork in that last half. Codie, I thought you could have blocked number four better but you did your best. And Mikayla," she pauses as I wait to receive my own compliment, ears perked. "You need to work on that fakeout. If those girls were brighter I was sure they'd have caught on. Improve."

And with that she left us to ourselves.
I don't take her words to heart like I did when I first came. Being on the team for this long has taught me that Coach was rarely impressed and always looking to make us better.

"Hey you were great! I have no idea what Coach is talking about," Codie says as she walks up to me.

She has hypnotizing, fair skin and a beautiful set of teeth. Her hair was bone straight and her bum was pleasing to look at; not that I was or anything. She was more petite than the rest of us but she made up for what she lacked in height, on the field.

"Yeah tell her that," I chuckle. I don't even bother changing out my uniform. Stuffing my cleats and water bottle inside my Under Armor gym bag, I stand, ready to leave.

"Wait Mikayla, couple of the girls were coming over to my room. We're gonna watch a movie or something, want to come?"

I sigh, hating the fact that I turn down everyone every time.
"Sorry, maybe next time."

The day was monotonous, having no exciting event going on. Everyone was aimlessly walking around, taking my mind off of today before my phone rang.

"This is Mikayla."

"And this is your furious Mother wondering why you haven't called with any updates on your classes. How much are you taking? Passed any quizzes? Hah, what am I saying, you're my daughter, of course you passed them. How many credits are you taking?"

There was a dull throbbing in the base of my head that seemed to grow more intense with every question. I haven't told her about the business classes because I was failing, not barely either. I had gotten an 80% on the last one and that was the highest it's been so far.

What was I suppose to say though? If I told her anything other than good things she'd have me packed up and dragging me home in a heartbeat.
So I lie.

"Yeah Mother everything's fine. I'm passing as much as I could," I tell her while nervously rubbing my fingers with my thumb.

"So what about any AP courses? Have they considered you for any of those?"

"Uhm, I'm not sure but they just might? It's been a rough start of the semester really. How's Chase doing?"

"Oh he's okay. He's joining the debate team next week and his physics classes are outstanding as always. He's as good as he should be."

As good as he should be.

That was the one phrase I'd grown to despise, wishing I'd never hear the words again. Mother had used it on me since elementary, saying that I should be at this level and that standard. I was walking on pins and needles since forever!

I never wanted the same for Chase. I know I always wanted to think differently, but he wasn't as strong as I was at that age. Mother puts more strain on him than he can take. I fear that he'll break.

"Maybe, maybe go a little easy on him. He's a bit frazzled, you know, considering everything."

Chase was about seven when our Dad left us. He was Chase's hero to say plainly; a real somebody he looked up to. After that day he was never the same and as much as he tried to hide, it always surfaced on his face when no one was looking.

"I will do no such thing! He's at his peaking age, I can't stop now. I don't want him to end up like your father," she mentions bitterly.

"Dad is a self-employed business owner Mother," I say through clenched teeth.

"Yeah sure let's go with that. Anyway, let me know about those credits as soon as possible. Bye."

Tears of frustration pool at the corners of my eyes, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was not in my own room right now, I would bawl.
That woman could strike a nerve like no other and it irked me.

"Mikayla, is that you?"

Shoot.

I quickly swat at my eyes and try my best to look like I wasn't on the brink of tears. Turning around I come face to face with Kennedy. She was wearing the most fabulous v-neck sports coat I've ever seen, paired with Louis Batons and a MK clutch.

Did she look straight off the runway everyday or....

"Hi Kennedy, what's up?" I was a tad relieved to see a friendly face. At least the migraine I had dulled slightly.

"I was just coming from the caf but there wasn't anything I liked. Want to come with me to Chipotle or something?"

If she'd seen my red eyes or puffy cheeks she didn't show any recognition. For that, I was thankful.

"Actually I was going to call it an early night, thanks anyway," I reply, blowing someone off for the umpteenth time.  I didn't wait for her response either.

"Look, I know you probably want to go to your room and fret over whatever's on your mind but I promise you, nothing's going to be better than watching me stuff my face with a burrito," she jokes.

I chuckle slightly, knowing she probably eats with precision, but decide to take her up on her offer anyway. "Alright, just let me put my things in my room."

"I'll help!"

Even though she looked like she never carried a gym bag in her life, I actually appreciated her offering. Maybe I'd made a friend after all.