T•W•E•N•T•Y•O•N•E

Mikayla

My chest heaves constantly, trying to support my lungs after the vigorous practice we just had. Coach had been ruthless; giving us hurdles, suicides, anything that burned after the first round.
My body was limp with fatigue, I barely had the energy to push open the gym doors as I made my way outside.

The slow change in weather was something I looked forward to. There wasn't anything I loved more than watching the leaves change from forest green to vivid reds and oranges. Some days there was a mild chill lingering in the air, warning everyone that fall was slowly approaching. Soon enough I'd have to break out the cute boots and long sweaters.
The combination was easily my favorite.

Quickly I trot to my car, throwing my gym bag and everything in it in the backseat. Lucky for me, the women's dorm wasn't too far from where I needed to be in 45 minutes. There was no time to chat it up with Stephanie, my roommate, who always had a new tale to spin me every time I saw her.

I rushed into the shower and out, not wanting to stink while I was in the presence of my peers. Cute mom jeans and a palm green boho shirt was what I paired with the combat boots that adorned my feet. It wasn't everyday that I got to dress up and I wanted tonight to be the first in a long time. Seeing as I had time for makeup, I hurriedly draw my eyebrows into the perfect arch and add winged eyeliner to top off the look.

Satisfied with my reflection, I leave my peaceful living space, ready for the night that was sure to relieve all my stress and anxiety.

Fifteen minutes later, I had arrived at the front doors of a run down brick building. Dying love vines ran up through tiny cracks in the wall, while the white trimming cracked and peeled from years of neglect. Once I got out of my car, the plain sidewalk chalkboard was the only hint that told me I was in the right place:

McAllister's presents
Open Mic Night
7:30 pm
Everyone welcomed

If it wasn't for the cars lined off down the sidewalk I would've thought I had the wrong place. Codie had told me about this joint after practice one day and I thought I'd give it a try. After all, I didn't have to get on the mic tonight, or at all even.
No one needed to know about my hidden love for poetry.

The dingy doors creak under my weight as I push against them, cautiously taking in my surroundings. My mouth falls open in bewilderment. The outside of this building did no justice to the inside of it at all.

Red cushion booths like those in the movies decorated the east and west walls of the room, while hardwood tables and chairs had been strategically set up in the middle. The room itself was dark, save for several rectangular lights that hung from the ceiling.
Jazz music played from a live band as a lady on stage commanded the attention of everyone in the room by her powerful words.

A beguiling turquoise head wrap cradled the locs that fell from her scalp. Her nose ring twinkled here and there under the lights, while she moved her head this way and that with an attitude that made her passion palpable. She was bathed in caramel chocolate from her face, to her piercing stomach that peeked out every time she raised her hand.

She spoke of equality, justice, and a pain for things I couldn't even begin to fathom. This, was indeed, a black woman.

The crowd erupts into cheers, bringing me back to reality as I join in, having to show my support and appreciation for the goddess who just left.

"Let's hear it again for Sage Amaní," the M.C calls into the microphone, as the crowd once again praises the girl from before. "We have a few more available spots tonight so if you want to sign up, now's the time. Head on over to the bar for a quick fix and relax while we hear a few renditions from our very own, Crix!"