Chapter 1

So I have finally gotten off my ass (well, not literally…I’m still on my ass while writing…) and made progress. This story seems a bit lighthearted at first, but there are some sad/dark things in here, and of course there is also smut.

Another thing: There won’t be any switching POVs in this fic; it will all be told through Kellin’s POV.

Enjoy!

Chapter 1 - I Hate This Fucking Town

I feel like I’m going to explode.

I’ve only been awake for five minutes, and I already can’t take it. Surrounding me is the same old house in the same old town with the same old people. I am sitting at the same old table, alone, eating the same old breakfast and watching the same old morning news. Usually, I’d be going to my same old job at some random shop or something, but I quit yesterday because I just couldn’t stand it any longer. (Plus, it’s Saturday anyways.) These are the joys—yeah, right—of a mundane, normal lifestyle.

I’m fucking sick of it.

I’m sick of my routine. I’m sick of not knowing what I’m doing with my life. I’m sick of being alone. I’m sick of simply existing.

Suddenly, it dawns on me what I need to do: I need to act on my boredom.

With that, I decide that I am going to go somewhere—hopefully not too far, but far enough—and I am going to do something I’ll remember.

Normally, I’d plan out something like this first. I’d figure out exactly where I wanted to go, what I wanted to do, how I was going to do it—but not today. Today, I don’t want to know specifics. I just want to get out.

I know I need to have a general destination, though, so I open up my laptop and look up a list of U.S. states, figuring that I want to stay within the country. Then I call my best (and only) friend, Matty.

"Hello?" he answers groggily.

"Matty!" I say. "So, listen."

"Kellin? What time is it?"

I glance at the digital clock in the corner of my laptop screen. “Uh, 9:32.”

He groans. “Dude, you know I don’t like waking up before ten when I don’t have to. This better be important.”

"It’s very important. Don’t ask why, but I need you to give me a letter of the alphabet."

"What? Why?"

"I just told you not to ask me why!"

"Oh, yeah. Whoops. Sorry. Still not quite awake yet. Uh…I don’t know, man. C?"

C. There are three states that start with the letter C.

"Okay, that’ll be good. Thanks!"

Matty laughs. “You are so weird,” he says, and then he hangs up.

Without wasting any time, I head across the kitchen to the “junk drawer” (admit it, every house has one). After a moment of digging around, I pull out a random die numbered one to six.

Okay, I think to myself. One and two for Colorado, three and four for Connecticut, and five and six for California.

I toss it onto the floor. It rolls a five.

Out loud, I say, “Well, California it is.” Then I give my house a two-fingered salute, in the hopes that I can kiss my uneventful, trivial life goodbye.