Chapter 5

Chapter 5 - Falling in Love Will Kill You

Vic makes the Grand Understatement of the Year by saying, “I was not expecting that one.”

"No shit," I breathe, still staring at the paper in disbelief. "How am I gonna…?"

He shrugs, clearly trying to act natural. “I don’t know. Just…find a pretty girl or something. You’re good-looking. She’ll do it.”

I laugh bitterly. He thinks I’m straight.

"What?" he asks. "I’m not kidding."

"I’m, uh…I’m gay." I look down at the ground, embarrassed. He probably won’t even want to be near me now. He’ll be paranoid that I’ll try to hit on him or something. That’s generally what happens when a straight guy and a gay guy are in the same area.

"Really?" Vic says, seeming genuinely surprised. "But I thought…Bree’s your ex-girlfriend…”

"I dated her just so people wouldn’t think I was a gay loser," I explain. "I mean, I am a gay loser, but they didn’t need to know that.”

"You’re not a loser," Vic protests. "And, you know, if you don’t want to have to kiss a stranger…I mean, you could always kiss me."

I have to be hearing things. There’s no way he’s actually saying this.

Blushing, he adds, “You know, if you want to. I don’t know if I told you or not, but I’m gay, too. But yeah. Do whatever, I guess.”

Yeah, I’m definitely hearing things.

"Well, uh…I think kissing a stranger would be a lot more awkward than kissing you," I say slowly. "Plus, no one else would want to."

I can’t believe I’m doing this.

"So it won’t make things weird between us afterward if we do this?" If I didn’t know better, I’d say he sounds almost hopeful.

"No, of course not," I reply quickly. "We can act like it never happened."

He nods, and I can’t help but let my gaze roam over his body. I can’t help but admire his toned, strong-looking arms and his long, wavy hair. I can’t help but wonder what his lips will feel like on mine.

Wow, Kellin. Great job with the whole I-will-not-develop-a-crush-on-Vic thing.

"Then we’ll do it," he says, breaking into my thoughts. "And then we’ll get our next clue and be on our way. Where are we supposed to be again?"

As we head off toward where we think the gazebo is, I remind myself that this kiss (or make-out session, technically) probably doesn’t mean to Vic what it means to me. To me, it marks the possible beginning of something great, but to him, it’s probably just a kiss.

Then I remember that the same thing happened with Jordan: It started with a crush and a kiss, and then it led to something so much more.

And then…

That next thought is the one that makes me suddenly glad that this won’t amount to much. It might be good now, but it’ll take a turn for the worst eventually. It always does.

When we reach the gazebo, we stand in the middle, each of us waiting for the other to make the first move. Vic steps closer to me, close enough that I can feel his breath when he leans forward, and gives me a small, warm smile. The warning voice in my head shuts up.

I pull him in by his chin and kiss him right on his soft pink lips.

For a moment, it’s just that—a kiss. Then Vic cups my cheek with his hand and glides his tongue across my own lips, moving even closer. I open my mouth slightly, deepening the kiss and letting him slip inside.