Chapter 16

Chapter 16 - Dreams Only Last For A Night

Including the pit stops and the time we use to sleep, it takes about three days for us to return to San Diego. We end up driving in our own separate cars, since he has his and now I have mine, but we sleep together at night in our hotel bed. As usual, Vic doesn’t sleep much, but he lets me catch up on my own sleep and doesn’t wake me.

Now it’s around noon, and we have just arrived in San Diego, both of us driving through the city streets and Vic leading me back to his house. Before I know it, we’re both parking outside of it and grabbing our things. Vic pushes the front door open, announcing, “We’re home!”

Mike looks up from the couch, where he’s playing a video game. It’s like he never left his spot since the last time I saw him. I think he’s even wearing the same sweatshirt.

"Kellin’s living with us, too, now?" he asks, raising an eyebrow.

Vic rolls his eyes. “Us? Shouldn’t you and your fiancé be at your own house?”

"You have better video games," he states in a matter-of-fact tone of voice, as Tony walks into the room from the kitchen and flips Vic off.

Vic makes a face. “What was that for?”

"You’re out of coffee," Tony explains, sitting down next to Mike.

"That’s not my fault,” Vic says. “Jaime!”

Jaime pops his head out from upstairs. “Yeah?”

"Tony says we’re out of coffee."

"That’s not my fault. You’re the one who shops for groceries. But you left us for the guy with the weird ex-girlfriend, so there are no groceries.”

I raise my hand slowly. “Um, hello? The guy with the weird ex-girlfriend is standing right here.”

Jaime looks at me curiously, and then he seems to notice my fingers intertwined with Vic’s.

"Vic," he says slowly, "can we discuss something? Privately?"

"There’s nothing to discuss,” Vic replies, moving slightly closer to me. “And if you have something to say, you can say it in front of Kellin, too.”

Jaime rolls his eyes. “Oh, don’t play this game.”

Vic just stares at him.

"Fine," Jaime says, sighing. "Play that game." Then he turns and walks away, back down the hall.

I turn to Vic. “What’s his problem?”

Vic shrugs sheepishly. “Me, probably. I don’t think he’s jealous. It’s something else.”

Tony must’ve walked back out to the kitchen, because now he walks in from there again, holding a knife this time.

I raise an eyebrow. “Why do you have that?”

"Because." He swings it around the room a few times. "I could cut the tension in here with a knife."

Mike laughs so hard he drops his controller.

"Hey," I say, suddenly remembering something. "Do you guys have MarioKart?"

"Uh, yeah," Mike says, picking the controller back up and continuing his game. "Why?"

I turn to Vic. “Remember that bet we made at Wet’n’Wild?”

Vic laughs a little. “Oh, yeah. How much did we say? Thirty bucks?”